Question X470 Taichi with Ryzen 9 5900X

Cybrex

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
So I've never updated the BIOS before for this motherboard but I now need to for it to work with the new processor I have but I'm not certain which update I'm applying (if one or the other matters as one is older than the other).

The first one...

4.702021/5/1810.50MBInstant Flash 1. Update AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.0
2. Support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors

And the second one...

4.602020/12/810.38MBInstant Flash 1. Supports Ryzen 5000 series CPU
2. Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D

They both support the 5000 series but the newest one says, G-series which I guess I have the X series. Should I go with the newest one or the older one?

Thanks for the help!

What is your current BIOS version? Because if it is older than version P2.00 then you NEED to update to version P2.00 before updating to any newer version. After that, you should simply be able to install the very latest version, 4.7.

You do not want to update to any of these newer versions though if you plan to ever use a 1xxx or 2xxx series CPU in that board again in the future. If not, then you should be fine to simply jump directly to version 4.7 so long as your current version is newer than 2.00

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Cybrex

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
Hey Darkbreeze,

thanks for letting me know. Going into DxDiag it says, BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/08/17 12:31:20 Ver: 05.0000C

No intention of going back to anything older than what I currently have. If anything, I'll eventually upgrade the motherboard next. :)

That is the BIOS version for your graphics card.

Go to your start menu, type msinfo32 into any search or run box and hit enter. On the right hand side there should be a listing of your BIOS version/Date about ten or so lines down.

Otherwise, you can simply look on your POST screen when you first power on OR go into the BIOS and on the main page it will be listed there. If it is newer than version P2.00 (2.00) then you can update directly to the latest version. If it is older, then update to 2.00 first then update to the latest version.

On my b350 you had to update in sequence. I have the AsRock AB350 pro 4. Is the board below

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

If you look at the bottom of the page below the oldest bios version, there’s also 2-3 beta bios versions. I had to use a beta bios for the 5000 series. But you might consider using the latest one. Even on my b350, I was able to enable smart access memory after updating.

So, if I'm reading it right then I'm at 3.20.

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P3.20, 2017-09-08
So, you should be good. But, you want to install the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS." before you do any updates apparently. So make sure your AMD driver version is that one or newer. I'd just download the latest all in one AMD driver from the AMD website, install it, restart and then go ahead and update your BIOS to 4.7.

Cybrex

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
So, you should be good. But, you want to install the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS." before you do any updates apparently. So make sure your AMD driver version is that one or newer. I'd just download the latest all in one AMD driver from the AMD website, install it, restart and then go ahead and update your BIOS to 4.7.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of anything else that would need to be installed. I've been looking on AsRock's page for the file and the closest I have come to finding it for my motherboard is this file, Realtek high definition audio driver ver:9238.1_UAD_WHQL_2021_0917_DTS_CONNECT. Would this be the correct one? I don't see it say anything about being an All in One though.

Where I'm finding it at
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370 Taichi/index.asp#Download