Question x470 vs. b450

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I don't overclock or game often at all. What differences would I notice if using a good b450 vs. an x470? I think that storemi or w/e it's called is only on x470. Any other limitations in b450?

I have both fatal1ty x470 mobos (atx and itx) and have considered keeping one or the other OR maybe keeping neither and get a matx b450.

Most likely I will just keep one of the x470 mobos I have, though. The limitation on itx of 32gb max is meaningless because by the time i'd want 64gb, i'd want a whole new system, anyway.

So really the only issue with the itx one is people report some issue with wires for the wireless antennas and I can get zero people here to comment on it, when surely I am not the only one with a fatal1ty x470 itx.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
You won't notice any significant differences, IMO.
Now I am reading such bad stories in reviews of the asrock mobos I have, I about feel forced to return this itx one, rather than risk keeping a faulty one AND selling a faulty one. I'm about scared into feeling forced to buy an asus now and sell these. I read bad stories about asrock, gigabyte, msi, etc... wo it seems nothing is good... I am a BEGINNER, so I wouldn't know what to do if I run into the issues these others have with the asrock BIOS and someone saying that there are audio issues as well.

I may have to return one, sell one, just hope the one I sell isn't returned to me, etc...

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I have two ASRock AM4 motherboards. Including a B450m. I have no issues recommending them other than ASRock has not yet released any BIOS which supports 3rd gen CPUs.
you didn't have issues where you had to work around them? Some people have said they have had all kinds of issues with voltages, windows crashing, RAM not being stable, audio issues. It's scaring me off of it.

Plus wouldn't it be a big risk to sell one on ebay? It seems like a ton of people end up with mobo issues and then I'd have someone demanding me accept a return. I have 2 mobos here, only 1 cans till be returned, today is the last day to ship it back to them.

This is tough because I'd rather have the smaller mobo. But if I keep it, I am chancing two different motherboards, where if either one ahs issues, I am in for a headache.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I've made this process so complicated. Constantly buying and selling unopened parts due to mind changes, hard to figure out what I want, etc... And now I had to jump through hoops getting my printer to print the return label and I don't even know if I want to return it. And I bought the atx one almost a year ago, so would have outdated BIOS and me with no clue on updating it.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Felt it was too risky keeping 2 asrocks where it's double the chance I end upo with an issue, be it form using one or selling one. So returned the itx...

Maybe someone can tell me what would be some of the best mobos for someone who does NOT overclock, has a 2700x, an nvme ssd to use for boot drive, and want decent audio... so better than that 800-level that some have.

No need to overclock, no need for multiple gpus, not planning to upgrade for years after building, etc... Would consider atx, itx, or matx.