[SOLVED] X51 R2 Solving Small Puzzles!

Jan 8, 2019
Hello, I’m currently running a x51 r2 (mini itx pc). I’m currently running.
I7 4790
1600 2x8gb ram
1060 gtx 3GB
500gb Samsung Evo 860 SSD
1Tb HDD
330w outside power supply
I read people successfully putting a 1080 Funder card inside the case and it works. I was thinking doing the same. However, I’m aware that type of card tends to get more hot. So my concern is how I can cool off the gpu and possibly the system.
One of my ideas is to use a PSU to separate power and I couldn’t have that problem. Using the space of the optical drive to put something to cool it off. However, I saw a video where someone was able to do it with a 680. Then he switch to a Titan gpu, he just fried it (4years ago).
I seen people cutting the case and putting fans. It seems a bit risky to ruin the case.
My current ideas to improve it a little might be to put some kind of outside fan. Any recommendations?
Since gtx 1080 seems to be the best card with current case. I was thinking on using an eGPU (graphics amplifier). Problem here is that I don’t think I have a thunderbolt on pc. I think it can be connected to usb 3.0. Putting a 1080ti, I think could be like having a dual 1080?
As an extra thing, I seen a system on sale with a water cooling (Corsair h5 sf). However, this goes with my power problem.
I know it could be much easier to buy and build a new system. I guess it’s sentimental value and like my friend said, “I like to polish turd”

Solution
The specs you have are still respectable, so there's certainly no harm in upgrading.

That being said, trying to accommodate larger, more power hungry/hotter cards in such a small enclosure has it's challenges. Trying to fit everything & keep it cool is probably going to involve cutting the case to put fans in.

Looking at the actual board, you could just transplant it to a larger mITX case and use a standard PSU.

s-l1600.jpg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: NZXT - H200 (Black/Blue) Mini ITX Tower Case ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The specs you have are still respectable, so there's certainly no harm in upgrading.

That being said, trying to accommodate larger, more power hungry/hotter cards in such a small enclosure has it's challenges. Trying to fit everything & keep it cool is probably going to involve cutting the case to put fans in.

Looking at the actual board, you could just transplant it to a larger mITX case and use a standard PSU.

s-l1600.jpg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: NZXT - H200 (Black/Blue) Mini ITX Tower Case ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($53.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $137.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-10 12:06 EST-0500

Solution