[SOLVED] X570 Aorus Ultra Motherboard has 247Hz hum

UserZero

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013
I originally set up this system on the bench before installing everything in the case, and noticed this intermittent 247Hz hum (roughly the B below Middle C on a piano - so not high-pitched) early on. It would come and go. I stopped the cooler fan briefly at that point, thinking it might be that but it wasn't. Coming from somewhere 'above' the CPU socket, i.e., opposite the PCIe expansion slots. Now that it's all put together it's pretty much constant, of course. Doesn't change with load, but it does seem to ebb and flow, sometimes going away completely, unrelated to anything I'm doing (or not doing).

System exhibited this behavior on the bench, before installing the OS - Win10 Pro, so I know it's none of the case fans, unrelated to the OS, etc. Currently running latest everything (BIOS, drivers, updates, etc.) and performs just fine. Idle package temp is about 44 deg. C at 0-1% CPU, typically running a little over 4GHz. I've yet to see it go above 70C under load (it's a DAW, primarily for synthestration). HWMonitor data here.

I tried disabling C-States, re-socketed all connectors, RAM sticks, etc., when it was still out of the case. About the only thing I didn't do was re-mount the Wraith Prism cooler. None of that had any effect.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. It's not so loud that I can't live with it, but of course I'm concerned that it's an indication of a problem.

TIA,
U0

I originally set up this system on the bench before installing everything in the case, and noticed this intermittent 247Hz hum (roughly the B below Middle C on a piano - so not high-pitched) early on. It would come and go. I stopped the cooler fan briefly at that point, thinking it might be that but it wasn't. Coming from somewhere 'above' the CPU socket, i.e., opposite the PCIe expansion slots. Now that it's all put together it's pretty much constant, of course. Doesn't change with load, but it does seem to ebb and flow, sometimes going away completely, unrelated to anything I'm doing (or not doing).

System exhibited this behavior on the bench, before installing the OS - Win10 Pro, so I know it's none of the case fans, unrelated to the OS, etc. Currently running latest everything (BIOS, drivers, updates, etc.) and performs just fine. Idle package temp is about 44 deg. C at 0-1% CPU, typically running a little over 4GHz. I've yet to see it go above 70C under load (it's a DAW, primarily for synthestration). HWMonitor data here.

I tried disabling C-States, re-socketed all connectors, RAM sticks, etc., when it was still out of the case. About the only thing I didn't do was re-mount the Wraith Prism cooler. None of that had any effect.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. It's not so loud that I can't live with it, but of course I'm concerned that it's an indication of a problem.

TIA,
U0
Sounds a bad compactor