[SOLVED] X570 bad choice for gaming rig??

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hey all,

I'm excited for the new ryzen processors coming out. i plan to build a new gaming rig and was seriously looking at the new x570 motherboards till i came to the below conclusion, tell me if i'm off?

Btw i plan to use 32gb 3200 memory, 1tb m.2 drive, stock cooling (not overclocking), and buy the best 500.00 gpu at the time of build (probably august or sept). gaming at 2k (2560 x 1440)

1. Really dont need more then 8 cores for just gaming. right?
  2. pci 4.0 isnt needed for video cards as 3.0 isnt reaching saturation yet and sure for m.2 drives my load time for a game might decrease by like 2 seconds?
  3. Seems due to the possibility that you might throw a 16 core on x570 mb and you might use all that pci 4.0 bandwith they are adding more expensive vrms, lots of heatsinks, and noisy little fans.

So in total if im only gaming and can only use at best a 8 core proc and current pci 3.0 bandwith. Why pay for the x570 and put up with the extra noise (you know tiny fans are loud)
im hearing those x570 motherboards are going to be starting at mid 200s for the low end. i could get something like the asrock B450M steel legend for less than a hundred bucks.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...=steel_legend_amd_matx-_-13-157-868-_-Product

Please tell me if im wrong, if getting the above motherboard would be lacking in anyway compared to a x570 mb for just gaming.

I realize the ability to add in several years a new pcie 4.0 graphics card is a plus but i rarely upgrade. i usually build a system use it till it doesnt work for me then new build.

thanks all for the info!

ps. many motherboards are including heatsinks for m.2 drives, yet so do many drives come with heatsinks, do you use both or one or the other?

Solution
From a cost perspective the B450 has a huge advantage, the disadvantage however would be that you need to flash 3000 series supporting BIOS on it before you can use those new cpus with it and you need an older cpu to flash it...
From a cost perspective the B450 has a huge advantage, the disadvantage however would be that you need to flash 3000 series supporting BIOS on it before you can use those new cpus with it and you need an older cpu to flash it...

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not just for pcie 4 gpus or ssds, the former wont really kick into gear i reckon until from within two years from now with pcie5. Pcie4 is a stop gap really, it was known to be short lived for gpus. With 5xx mobos you're looking at better quality circuitry to handle higher end Ryzens. 2700x if you feel should do fine with your 8 core requirement, there's nothing wrong with that either.

If interested in the gains Zen 2 apparently has, and if don't have Ryzen board yet to upgrade, i would go right ahead with 5xx.

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Ahh i dont have a older amd cpu to flash it. so i guess x570 is my only choice? if i want a new ryzen

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
One perspective is whether you intend to use a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. Those VRMs will be handy for the still rumoured 16-core, and perhaps an even more refined XFR.

For the foreseeable future 6c/12t is probably the lowest wanted for gaming purposes.
I never upgrade proccessors, so if i ever decide to go 16 core it will be a new build.