[SOLVED] x570 Can't Find M.2 nor USB to Flash New Bios

En_g_neer

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
So I have been doing a bit of research on this for the last couple of hours, with no solution found.

Problem: I just built a new computer, and brought my hard drives over. Windows is booting and was setup fine from my 2.5" SSD, connected via SATA, and my HDD over SATA was recognized as well. My BIOS, however, is not finding my M.2, and I can't flash a new BIOS as it won't find my USB drive containing the new BIOS when in Flash mode.

Mobo Model: MSI x570 Unify
CPU: AMD 3950x
M.2: Mushkin Pilot 500 GB

• It is installed in Slot 1 which is referenced as M2_1 (CPU) in the MSI booklet.
  • Chipset was updated
  • When I try to flash the new BIOS, the USB stick containing the BIOS is not found (yet I am able to transfer files to/from the USB on Windows)
  • -Note that I did try the 2.0 and 3.0 ports on both front and back of case.
  • CMOS was cleared and still didn't find the drive.
  • My other 2 drives which are working are installed on the SATA 3 and SATA 4 I believe (might be SATA 4 and 5).
  • Tried both CWM and UEFI modes.
I suppose my next step is to get in there and swap the drive to another slot.

Thoughts?

Lutfij

Titan
Do any of the drives contain your older OS installation? If so, you should format the OS installation drive. If the prior OS drive has critical on it, you should move your important data off of it while on the older platform.

How did you move the BIOS file to the USB drive? Make sure the pen drive is formatted to FAT32 just to be sure. If it still doesn't work, format to NTFS. Move the BIOS file over to the pen drive from a donor system and not the zipped file(the ROM file.

There's no CWM, it's termed CSM. You should plug the pen drive into the rear I/O's USB port that has a red rectangle around it, labelled Flash BIOS under it. After that, press and hold the Flash BIOS button until you see the LED flash.

En_g_neer

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
Do any of the drives contain your older OS installation? If so, you should format the OS installation drive. If the prior OS drive has critical on it, you should move your important data off of it while on the older platform.

How did you move the BIOS file to the USB drive? Make sure the pen drive is formatted to FAT32 just to be sure. If it still doesn't work, format to NTFS. Move the BIOS file over to the pen drive from a donor system and not the zipped file(the ROM file.

There's no CWM, it's termed CSM. You should plug the pen drive into the rear I/O's USB port that has a red rectangle around it, labelled Flash BIOS under it. After that, press and hold the Flash BIOS button until you see the LED flash.

I extracted the bios file I downloaded to the pen drive.
I will attempt to use the flash button, but this time formatted as FAT32.

A clean install will honestly be my last troubleshooting step. I will try your suggestions and see if I can make it happen! I appreciate it