[SOLVED] X570 Chipset Over 100C at Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2021
My system:
  • ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (non-dark version until this week)
  • AMD 5900X
  • XPG Gammix S50 1TB
  • Patriot Viper Steel PVS416G440C9K, 4*8GB
  • GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
  • Windows 10 Pro
Last week, my computer suddenly shut down unexpectedly, then struggled to post. When it did manage to reach Windows, HWiNFO showed the chipset temperature as around 95 degrees at idle and the chipset fan was at 100% (previously the chipset was a 'normal' temp). I swapped the motherboard out (for the 'Dark Hero' version), expecting it to be a motherboard issue. However, the chipset is over 100 degrees at idle. I could RMA the motherboard, but I suspect it's something else.
Any ideas what could be the cause? It's almost certainly not an airflow issue.

First check that when mounting your 5900x that it is not over tightened and that a decent TIM was used and spread correctly.
What is your cooling system?
Use another App to determine CPU temperature. HWinfo is good and the Tdie thermal readout is of main concern.
What case are you using? describe the case fan throughput situation.

May 19, 2021
Yeah, the PC became very unstable, I doubt it's just a dodgy temperature reading.
The new board has been stable, so far. I'm still concverned about that temperature though - it's way above the recommended max.
HWMonitor doesn't seem to have a reading for the chipset temperature? HWiNFO has two though, one directly from the chipset and one from a nearby diode and both are over 100 degrees (and different by .1-.5)

May 19, 2021
First check that when mounting your 5900x that it is not over tightened and that a decent TIM was used and spread correctly.
What is your cooling system?
Use another App to determine CPU temperature. HWinfo is good and the Tdie thermal readout is of main concern.
What case are you using? describe the case fan throughput situation.

Is an over-tightened CPU likely to cause chipset overheating issues? I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and it's under an EK monoblock connected to a full water cooling loop with 2 360 rads and a total of 8 case fans, all inside a Lian Li O11D XL

May 19, 2021
I'd run with the case open and blow a fan on it just to see the effect it has on the temp.

I tried that earlier. I managed to get the temperature down to 99 degrees. Notably, the active chipset cooling on the first motherboard did manage to get it to 95, not that that was a comfortable temperature either

I tried that earlier. I managed to get the temperature down to 99 degrees. Notably, the active chipset cooling on the first motherboard did manage to get it to 95, not that that was a comfortable temperature either
I am surprised that you didn't get more than that and I am still wondering if you are getting the correct reading.
How warm does the chipset heatsink feel?

Is an over-tightened CPU likely to cause chipset overheating issues? I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and it's under an EK monoblock connected to a full water cooling loop with 2 360 rads and a total of 8 case fans, all inside a Lian Li O11D XL

Yes this has happened before where an overtightened hold down bracket prevented coolant flow and puts excessive pressure on the MB.

Kryonaut is excellent TIM and you certainly have a large enough radiator so is the pump circulation in your open loop working OK?
Where are the rads mounted?

Have you checked your CPU core voltage in Bios?

Last edited:
May 19, 2021
I am surprised that you didn't get more than that and I am still wondering if you are getting the correct reading.
How warm does the chipset heatsink feel?

I didn't try for very long, admittedly, perhaps if I'd kept up the fan it would have decreased more.
Incredibly hot. More than a fast tap and it would burn me, I think

May 19, 2021
Yes this has happened before where an overtightened hold down bracket prevented coolant flow and puts excessive pressure on the MB.

Kryonaut is excellent TIM and you certainly have a large enough radiator so is the pump circulation in your open loop working OK?
Where are the rads mounted?

Have you checked your CPU core voltage in Bios?

Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood. The chipset is not part of the CPU, and is actually located elsewhere on the motherboard (to the right of the PCIe slots). The cooling is mostly unrelated to that of the CPU, generally relying on a passive heatsink.

I didn't try for very long, admittedly, perhaps if I'd kept up the fan it would have decreased more.
Incredibly hot. More than a fast tap and it would burn me, I think
"Incredibly hot. More than a fast tap and it would burn me, I think"
I find this very odd especially in idle with no load.
I would be tempted to call ASUS.
I don't think it should be that hot in idle with the case open and a fan blowing on it.

Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood. The chipset is not part of the CPU, and is actually located elsewhere on the motherboard (to the right of the PCIe slots). The cooling is mostly unrelated to that of the CPU, generally relying on a passive heatsink.

Sorry I certainly did misunderstand and was fixated on the CPU.
Usually it's poor case air thruput or a PSU Overvolting.?
You should see a drop in temps with a desktop fan pointed at the Chipset with the front of the case removed.

May 19, 2021
"Incredibly hot. More than a fast tap and it would burn me, I think"
I find this very odd especially in idle with no load.
I would be tempted to call ASUS.
I don't think it should be that hot in idle with the case open and a fan blowing on it.

Exactly, something is definitely wrong. I already replaced the motherboard (and therefore the chipset) though, so surely there must be some other cause? I'm struggling to find a single case online of another person a with similarly hot idle chipset, so it seems really weird that it would happen to me by coincidence twice

May 19, 2021
Sorry I certainly did misunderstand and was fixated on the CPU.
Usually it's poor case air thruput or a PSU Overvolting.?
You should see a drop in temps with a desktop fan pointed at the Chipset with the front of the case removed.

The case has excellent airflow, and all other components seem to be doing just fine. With the side panel removed and extra fanning, I brought the temperature down slightly (as stated earlier), but it was still well above the recommended max and about 50 degrees hotter than it should be.

Last edited:
It is rather rare that the chipset would be overheating and more so happening twice. I also searched for a similar situation and found nothing.

I would check the PSU for out of spec rail voltage or swap the unit out for a known working unit of the same or higher Wattage.
If the PSU is working OK then RMA the MB.

May 19, 2021
Just an update: seems that the issue was with the 24 pin ATX cable! Weird how a dodgy cable can cause a chipset to overheat like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS