[SOLVED] X570 Elite WiFi system only turns on with q-flash

Generuu

Commendable
Mar 10, 2020
I recently put together a build for a friend. The components I used were the X570 Aorus Elite WiFi and Ryzen 7 5800X.

When researching the build I saw that you need to q-flash the BIOS so that the motherboard would be compatible with the CPU.
Looked up a tutorial on it, prepped a USB stick, and upon completing the build, I stuck the USB into the white BIOS USB port on the IO.

Pressed the q-flash button near the bottom of the MOBO, nothing happens.

After a bit more googling, I had found that I actually downloaded the f30 BIOS version for the X570 Aorus Elite, rather than the X570 Aorus Elite WiFi.
Downloaded the correct version, reformatted the USB stick, plugged it in, pressed the button, then boom, PC turns on.

Great, I thought. I allowed the flashing process to go until the orange LED stopped blinking and turned the PC back off. Windows wasn't installed on any storage device
at the time so the PC was naturally stuck on "No compatible boot device found"

I grabbed my other USB with windows installed on it, plugged that in, pressed the power button on the case. Nothing.

I reread the Case's and MOBO's manual several times to ensure that I had the case cables installed properly. I am at a loss for what the issue could possibly be.

I don't believe any of the hardware is faulty because the PSU managed to power everything. The RAM lights up, the MOBO LED flashes indicating power is running through it, the graphics card lights up, the AIO lights up and the fans spin. Hell, even the power button LED is on and even turns off when I press and hold it down. What is happening here?

The only time the PC turns on is when I'm q-flashing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Unplug the power cables coming from the case front power switch to the motherboard and try this.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

And if that doesn't work, go through the list at the following link and double check, triple check, everything listed. Sometimes it might be as simple as a single connector isn't quite pushed all the way in. Considering that flash methods like q-flash plus and flashback usually don't even require that there be a CPU or memory installed, there could still be a number of reasons why it might power on using Q-flash plus but not power on normally...
Unplug the power cables coming from the case front power switch to the motherboard and try this.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

And if that doesn't work, go through the list at the following link and double check, triple check, everything listed. Sometimes it might be as simple as a single connector isn't quite pushed all the way in. Considering that flash methods like q-flash plus and flashback usually don't even require that there be a CPU or memory installed, there could still be a number of reasons why it might power on using Q-flash plus but not power on normally.

And if that fails to find any resolution to the problem, I'd suggest you remove the board and bench test it.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

Generuu

Commendable
Mar 10, 2020

And if that doesn't work, go through the list at the following link and double check, triple check, everything listed. Sometimes it might be as simple as a single connector isn't quite pushed all the way in. Considering that flash methods like q-flash plus and flashback usually don't even require that there be a CPU or memory installed, there could still be a number of reasons why it might power on using Q-flash plus but not power on normally.

And if that fails to find any resolution to the problem, I'd suggest you remove the board and bench test it.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I'm not currently at the PC at the moment but once I get a chance I'll try out everything you've suggested here. Jumping the PC was something I had not thought of trying. I'll come back with an update and let you know if I've solved it or not.

Generuu

Commendable
Mar 10, 2020

Your PC jumpstarting technique worked like a charm. Honestly, I don't know how I hadn't come across this until you mentioned it. I quadruple-checked the motherboard's manual and I did in fact have the power switch plugged into the power led header. In my defense, I had been up for 24 hours at that point lol. Thank you again for the detailed response. I hope anyone who comes across this thread is helped by it. :)