[SOLVED] X570 or B550 Motherboard?

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I'm having a hard time deciding on which one I want to grab, so I figured I would ask this community what would be the best option. I know that with picking up a B550, I don't think my Ryzen 7 2700x will have much or any support. I bought an X570 in the past but it came in dead on arrival, so I'm still skeptical about that model.

The only pro that I see with the x570 is that it should support my CPU, as well as future CPUs as well. With the B550 (as stated) I don't think it supports my processor, and I don't want to waste $400 on another processor if I don't have to.

Solution
From what we know at today, Zen3 or 5000 series are last AMD CPUs on AM4 socket. B550 does support one PCIe NVMe 4.0 drive. X570 does support two PCIe NVMe 4.0 drives by default, but have chipset fan, prone to became noisy and whiny after a year when bearings begin to deteriorate. From regular user/gamer point of view at today PCIe 4.0 is already overkill and doesn't make any significant performance gain. Except PCIe NVMe 4.0 will make sense for game resource cache in future when RTX IO and alternative AMD solution will came out. Still only one PCIe NVMe 4.0 drive required. Which left X570 boards interesting only for video makers and others who often require a possibility to write very long sequential files. Others may use good...
You only have 2700X CPU so far, without motherboard? Is there a reason why you wish X570/B550 motherboard (and not some X470/B450)?
And btw. no matter what board you buy today, it most probably won't support future CPU's. From what I could read, AMD said this is the last generation of AM4 socket CPU's.

@Rallient : It's been clear from the beginning with B550 boards about processors they support but I'd be wary about updating an X570 board to a 5000 BIOS if running a 2000 series processor on it. It might run but lack full and proper support, especially for higher clocked memory configurations, since it will use AGESA's targeted and tested for 3000 and 5000 series.

It seems to me any new 5000 series CPU SKU's are more likely to be APU's and unexciting derivatives of what we've already seen (like the XT series of some Ryzen 3000 CPU's). Not much reason to future proof for that.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I think the only reason why I wanted a B550 is for if I wanted to upgrade in the future, but after hearing about this is the last generation for AM4 I might just go ahead and go with a B450 or an X470 instead. Any particular models? I love the MSI Bios as it's easy to mess around with, but I've heard some pretty negative things about MSI motherboards.

...I might just go ahead and go with a B450 or an X470 instead. Any particular models?
Nobody knows what your needs/wishes are and nobody knows what kind of PC system you're into (case size, other PC components, etc.), so your question makes no sense.
All motherboards are good (for CPU's you have in mind). That is, I'm happy with board I have, but your needs (and budget) might differ.
Negative things.. check this forum for example. People usually ask question when something goes wrong. Can't remember seeing someone would start his first post with "just bough THIS motherboard and I'm extremely happy", or similar. Actually reading forums, one might get impression PC's are a bunch of troubles.
There are no good or bad boards.. there are only wrong or right choices.

Reactions: Krotow
From what we know at today, Zen3 or 5000 series are last AMD CPUs on AM4 socket. B550 does support one PCIe NVMe 4.0 drive. X570 does support two PCIe NVMe 4.0 drives by default, but have chipset fan, prone to became noisy and whiny after a year when bearings begin to deteriorate. From regular user/gamer point of view at today PCIe 4.0 is already overkill and doesn't make any significant performance gain. Except PCIe NVMe 4.0 will make sense for game resource cache in future when RTX IO and alternative AMD solution will came out. Still only one PCIe NVMe 4.0 drive required. Which left X570 boards interesting only for video makers and others who often require a possibility to write very long sequential files. Others may use good B450/X470 boards with latest BIOS update, available even in 100$ range now. Or step a bit further and take good B550 board in 160-220$ range with good VRM (10+2 and above).

Reactions: BogdanH
Solution