[SOLVED] x570 or b550 ?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I plan on buying R7 5800x and later this year (hopefully when the GPU prices drop) an Nvidia RTX 2060 or 3060, for now, I'll use my RX 580.
My goal with this build is to start streaming and gaming.
What type of MB should I go for?
x570 or b550

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for your opinion, definitely going to do some more research to find everything for the best price.

Actually, the B550 E is a little over my budget. I'm sorry for the false info.
The B550-A and B550-F is the only option.
oh...I think i got the E and the F mixed up. So the A and the F are essentially the same board with color differences...if I'm recalling that correctly!

But I totally agree they are excellent boards, whichever you choose.
X570 has some better features than b550...
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3582-amd-chipset-differences-b550-vs-x570-b450-x470-zen-3#:~:text=Both chipsets support up to Zen 3 so far.&text=X570 uses a Gen4 chipset,be reconfigured into almost anything.
Keep in mind that x570 provides you with better VRM and more PCIe lanes which is useful for connecting more peripheral devices like storage or add-in cards.

I would definitely go with a good quality x570 with the 5800x...

Last edited:
I plan on buying R7 5800x and later this year (hopefully when the GPU prices drop) an Nvidia RTX 2060 or 3060, for now, I'll use my RX 580.
My goal with this build is to start streaming and gaming.
What type of MB should I go for?
x570 or b550
With B550 you already get one PCIe M.2 NVME slot for the system and one PCIe x 16 slot for the GPU that's gen 4, all other slots are gen 3 including any secondary M.2 NVME's on the board. So you're well set for gaming even though Gen 4 has never been shown to benefit it to any measureable extent.

All X570 gets you, in and of itself, is more PCIe gen 4 lanes to populate more PCIe and M.2 sockets. Gamers don't really need that so it's largely surperfluous. Look for whatever else might be important: USB ports, LAN ports, etc. B550 boards come pretty well equipped in that respect too so if all else is equal it gets down to price where X570 usually runs considerably higher for similar features.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
X570 has some better features than b550...
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3582-amd-chipset-differences-b550-vs-x570-b450-x470-zen-3#:~:text=Both chipsets support up to Zen 3 so far.&text=X570 uses a Gen4 chipset,be reconfigured into almost anything.
Keep in mind that x570 provides you with better VRM and more PCIe lanes which is useful for connecting more peripheral devices like storage or add-in cards.

I would definitely go with a good quality x570 with the 5800x...
My goal is gaming and streaming, I don't plan on doing SLI or adding more storage. I don't plan on any overclocking either. All I understand about VRM is that it controls the power phasing, it controls the voltage sent to components to avoid their maximum voltage. Is the x570 still a better choice for me?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
With B550 you already get one PCIe M.2 NVME slot for the system and one PCIe x 16 slot for the GPU that's gen 4, all other slots are gen 3 including any secondary M.2 NVME's on the board. So you're well set for gaming even though Gen 4 has never been shown to benefit it to any measureable extent.

All X570 gets you, in and of itself, is more PCIe gen 4 lanes to populate more PCIe and M.2 sockets. Gamers don't really need that so it's largely surperfluous. Look for whatever else might be important: USB ports, LAN ports, etc. B550 boards come pretty well equipped in that respect too so if all else is equal it gets down to price where X570 usually runs considerably higher for similar features.
My goal is gaming and streaming, I don't plan on doing SLI or adding more storage. I don't plan on any overclocking either.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Also +1 for going with a B550 board. The options the X570 offers over the B550 aren't useful for most people. Plus B550 versions of the same board series (e.g., ASRock's Steel Legend) are also a bit cheaper.
My goal is gaming and streaming, I don't plan on doing SLI or adding more storage. I don't plan on any overclocking either.

Ahaa, I get it. I am also looking for what cooler to buy.
My goal is gaming and streaming, I don't plan on any overclocking either.
Do you have any suggestions?

That said: what do you prefer? liquid or air? If liquid do you want a custom closed loop or simple AIO? This also depends on case: you wouldn't want to get a 240mm AIO if your case isn't designed to mount one, for instance.

Even an air cooler can be case dependent: a monstrous huge Dark Rock Pro 4, for instance, might leave a smaller mATX case completely over-crowded and inaccessible.

But for good cooling ideas:

Personally, I'd go with a Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black with a second fan for air or CM ML240 for liquid cooler. But it's personal.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
That said: what do you prefer? liquid or air? If liquid do you want a custom closed loop or simple AIO? This also depends on case: you wouldn't want to get a 240mm AIO if your case isn't designed to mount one, for instance.

Even an air cooler can be case dependent: a monstrous huge Dark Rock Pro 4, for instance, might leave a smaller mATX case completely over-crowded and inaccessible.

But for good cooling ideas:

Personally, I'd go with a Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black with a second fan for air or CM ML240 for liquid cooler. But it's personal.
I'd go for be quiet! because it's a little cheaper. What are your thoughts on Fuma 2?

I'd go for be quiet! because it's a little cheaper. What are your thoughts on Fuma 2?
I think I'd watch GN's review of it LOL. Steve always gives extremely thorough reviews and analysis. And he's never afraid to tell it like it is.

But as I noted before: it's can be very personal. Watch the reviews but I wouldn't get hung up on getting 'The Best' when performance within a few degrees of it generally won't matter. I've been very pleased with the noise levels of any Noctua product, that's why I lean towards it, but in comparison charts it's not always apparent whether a slightly noisier one will be all that obvious enough to overcome the sheer ugliness of 'The Best' . That's a major influence if appearance matters a lot in a system someone wants to make a room center piece.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0UtQQ1rEo

Last edited:

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I think I'd watch GN's review of it LOL. Steve always gives extremely thorough reviews and analysis. And he's never afraid to tell it like it is.

But as I noted before: it's can be very personal. Watch the reviews but I wouldn't get hung up on getting 'The Best' when performance within a few degrees of it generally won't matter. I've been very pleased with the noise levels of any Noctua product, that's why I lean towards it, but in comparison charts it's not always apparent whether a slightly noisier one will be all that obvious enough to overcome the sheer ugliness of 'The Best' . That's a major influence if appearance matters a lot in a system someone wants to make a room center piece.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0UtQQ1rEo
I just watched it. I think right now it's better to pay 40 dollars more for the safer choice.
Do you have an opinion on the BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 4 and Deepcool assassin III?

My goal is gaming and streaming, I don't plan on doing SLI or adding more storage. I don't plan on any overclocking either. All I understand about VRM is that it controls the power phasing, it controls the voltage sent to components to avoid their maximum voltage. Is the x570 still a better choice for me?
Actually it all boils down to the variables. Like what specific boards you are looking at and at what prices, basically what is better value for money depending on your budget and location(availability). How much price difference you have between the boards as well as specific use case.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Actually it all boils down to the variables. Like what specific boards you are looking at and at what prices, basically what is better value for money depending on your budget and location(availability). How much price difference you have between the boards as well as specific use case.
Yes, I do believe so. I am strongly leaning towards MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus. The price is very nice, it has BIOS flashback.
What do you think?

I just watched it. I think right now it's better to pay 40 dollars more for the safer choice.
Do you have an opinion on the BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 4 and Deepcool assassin III?
Well...they are MASSIVE and would dominate my mATX case! I know the BeQuiet! in particular has a very good reputation for quiet cooling though. A Shadow Rock 3 is the other choice I'm considering for my 3700X, I really like the price compared to the Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black.

But I have to think either would be overkill for a 5800X, especially since you have no plans on overclocking. True, the cooler you can keep a Ryzen CPU the better it boosts under heavy loads but there's a limit to what an air cooler can deliver.

Last edited:

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Well...they are MASSIVE and would dominate my mATX case! I know the BeQuiet! in particular has a very good reputation for quiet cooling though. A Shadow Rock 3 is the other choice I'm considering for my 3700X, I really like the price compared to the Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black.

But I have to think either would be overkill for a 5800X, especially since you have no plans on overclocking. True, the cooler you can keep a Ryzen CPU the better it boosts under heavy loads but there's a limit to what an air cooler can deliver.
I wanted to go for Cooler Master Masterbox K501L, but I am not sure how compatible is it with the noctua and be quiet!. My goal is streaming and gaming, doesn't streaming put a burden on the CPU? What do you mean these coolers are overkill?

I wanted to go for Cooler Master Masterbox K501L, but I am not sure how compatible is it with the noctua and be quiet!. My goal is streaming and gaming, doesn't streaming put a burden on the CPU? What do you mean these coolers are overkill?
By overkill I mean it might not provide additional benefit, in terms of quiet operation or CPU performance, compared to something less imposing. Something like a Dark Rock 3 for instance... or maybe even the Shadow Rock 3 I'm looking at. But then, it won't hurt performance either to be sure. But what's 'imposing' in size is where cooler choice can be a personal thing; it's my sense of aesthetic which you may or may not share.

Streaming can be a CPU burden, but I'm not sure it's all that heavy, or makes extensive use of AVX instructions. I suppose it can depending on the type of streaming and codec's though.

About that case: based on the picture of it I see I feel it could be restrictive. The front panel is mostly blocked with one opening for the one front mounted fan. That fan's in the bottom, no less, so it will be providing cool air only to the GPU...which in turn will push it's hot air up to the CPU cooler. That's not a good scenario for proper ventilation. I'd prefer a case with a full-open front with room for two or three fans behind mesh panel to allow good air flow.

There's space for three fans on the top, one in rear and two more in front though...I'm just not sure how to get enough cool air into the front through that one opening to feed both CPU and GPU without running all those case fans at high speeds...meaning noisy.

Last edited:
Any b550 motherboard around the same price if possible. I found MSI B550-A Pro and MSI MAG B550M Mortar for a good price. Other brands are also welcome, I don't mind. DO you have any suggestions?
Be aware the Mortar is an mATX, so smaller format. Won't properly fill an ATX case.

IMO, any of the boards you've mentioned will work great with a 5800X...they all have good VRM configurations with DrMOS power stages suitable for overclocking even 5950X CPU's. Look at features; USB ports (location), M.2 sockets for NVME's, LAN options, etc.

Last edited:

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
See if you can get the Tomahawk. Else any of those 3 will do as they are all in the same bracket in terms of features and performance.
Couldn't find the Tomahawk. What about :
Gigabyte B550 Gaming X (ATX)
Asus TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS.

What is your opinion on the Asus ROG Strix B550-A,E,F. I can try to find some good deals for these.