[SOLVED] x570 or b550 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I plan on buying R7 5800x and later this year (hopefully when the GPU prices drop) an Nvidia RTX 2060 or 3060, for now, I'll use my RX 580.
My goal with this build is to start streaming and gaming.
What type of MB should I go for?
x570 or b550

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for your opinion, definitely going to do some more research to find everything for the best price.

Actually, the B550 E is a little over my budget. I'm sorry for the false info.
The B550-A and B550-F is the only option.
oh...I think i got the E and the F mixed up. So the A and the F are essentially the same board with color differences...if I'm recalling that correctly!

But I totally agree they are excellent boards, whichever you choose.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Be aware the Mortar is an mATX, so smaller format. Won't properly fill an ATX case.

IMO, any of the boards you've mentioned will work great with a 5800X...they all have good VRM configurations with DrMOS power stages suitable for overclocking even 5950X CPU's. Look at features; USB ports (location), M.2 sockets for NVME's, LAN options, etc.
Thank you for your opinion, definitely going to do some more research to find everything for the best price.
The Strix B550 E is a the best of the lot. Go for it.

oh...I think i got the E and the F mixed up. So the A and the F are essentially the same board with color differences...if I'm recalling that correctly!

But I totally agree they are excellent boards, whichever you choose.

Solution

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
By overkill I mean it might not provide additional benefit, in terms of quiet operation or CPU performance, compared to something less imposing. Something like a Dark Rock 3 for instance... or maybe even the Shadow Rock 3 I'm looking at. But then, it won't hurt performance either to be sure. But what's 'imposing' in size is where cooler choice can be a personal thing; it's my sense of aesthetic which you may or may not share.

Streaming can be a CPU burden, but I'm not sure it's all that heavy, or makes extensive use of AVX instructions. I suppose it can depending on the type of streaming and codec's though.

About that case: based on the picture of it I see I feel it could be restrictive. The front panel is mostly blocked with one opening for the one front mounted fan. That fan's in the bottom, no less, so it will be providing cool air only to the GPU...which in turn will push it's hot air up to the CPU cooler. That's not a good scenario for proper ventilation. I'd prefer a case with a full-open front with room for two or three fans behind mesh panel to allow good air flow.

There's space for three fans on the top, one in rear and two more in front though...I'm just not sure how to get enough cool air into the front through that one opening to feed both CPU and GPU without running all those case fans at high speeds...meaning noisy.
DEEPCOOL Kućište MATREXX 55 V3
FSP Gaming kućište CMT 211A (comes with 4 fans)
RAIDMAX Kućište i503 (comes with 3 fans)
FSP Gaming kućište CMT 140
I found these as four other viable options with triple fans option in front. Nice price, what do you think?

Last edited:
DEEPCOOL Kućište MATREXX 55 V3
FSP Gaming kućište CMT 211A (comes with 4 fans)
RAIDMAX Kućište i503 (comes with 3 fans)
FSP Gaming kućište CMT 140
I found these as four other viable options with triple fans option in front. Nice price, what do you think?
I like the looks of the Raidmax i503...and it has a mesh front so should flow pretty well.

The FSP Gaming CMT 211A also has a big mesh front as does the CMT 140 which looks just as nice as the Raidmax.

The thing I'm looking for is an open or mesh front so the air can flow well. The Matrexx 55 V3 looks like it has a solid glass front so it depends on how well the side openings work to get good air flow. I'd not consider it, especially given the CMt140 and i503 are available.

Another good thing about a mesh front is it's a natural filter that's easy to clean: just run the vacuum brush tool across it and done. Don't even have to open the case or anything!

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I like the looks of the Raidmax i503...and it has a mesh front so should flow pretty well.

The FSP Gaming CMT 211A also has a big mesh front as does the CMT 140 which looks just as nice as the Raidmax.

The thing I'm looking for is an open or mesh front so the air can flow well. The Matrexx 55 V3 looks like it has a solid glass front so it depends on how well the side openings work to get good air flow. I'd not consider it, especially given the CMt140 and i503 are available.

Another good thing about a mesh front is it's a natural filter that's easy to clean: just run the vacuum brush tool across it and done. Don't even have to open the case or anything!
Thank you for the advice my man. You helped me out a lot.

TRENDING THREADS