Question X570 or X470 Mobo?

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
At the end of the day, what are the real advantages to getting the X570 chipset, aside from a speedier M.2 port?

Planning my next build in a few weeks (this is my first AMD in over 10 years) and I'm still deciding between the 3600x or the 3900x.

My thought is if I go for the 3600x, then I go with the X470, and the X570 if I go with the 3900x. This will be going into an matx board (also the first one of these that I've ever built) so I realize my options are limited on the X570 front.

Thoughts?

At the end of the day, what are the real advantages to getting the X570 chipset, aside from a speedier M.2 port?

Planning my next build in a few weeks (this is my first AMD in over 10 years) and I'm still deciding between the 3600x or the 3900x.

My thought is if I go for the 3600x, then I go with the X470, and the X570 if I go with the 3900x. This will be going into an matx board (also the first one of these that I've ever built) so I realize my options are limited on the X570 front.

Thoughts?
PCIE 4.0 really. I went X570 because I went ITX and the difference was like £30. But it’s up to you. If you’re going 3900X go for the best VRM especially if you’re wanting to push it with rendering or overclocking. But that’ll take research.

I don’t see GPUs getting too fast for the PCIE x16 slot in the near future but I could be wrong. If you’re getting a 3900X you won’t be in for a platform upgrade for a good few years at least so PCIE 4.0 might be worth it.

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Thanks, that's really good to know. If I'm going to go all out on the cpu, then the X570 looks like it's the way to go. I don't do as much rendering/video editing as I used to, but I do enough that I probably won't overclock. I've just never found the performance increase worth it when factoring in the decreased system stability.

Now to decide between the two CPUs...

Thanks, that's really good to know. If I'm going to go all out on the cpu, then the X570 looks like it's the way to go. I don't do as much rendering/video editing as I used to, but I do enough that I probably won't overclock. I've just never found the performance increase worth it when factoring in the decreased system stability.

Now to decide between the two CPUs...
I have the 3600X, you can go for the 3600 and there’s a marginal performance difference but the 3600X isn’t worth the extra cost really. The 3900X is obviously better, costs a lot more and if you’re doing anything that’ll use the threads a much better chip. If you don’t want to be diving into your system and upgrading tons it’s also a good option. I enjoy tinkering so I just get parts I’m happy swapping out in a year or 2 that don’t cost a bomb so I can afford to do it. Like I went from the 2600 to the 3600X, sideways move in terms of the product stack but a solid 30%~ improvement in terms of CineBench anyway.

Not only is it PCIe gen 4 and speedier but you get more lanes so they can also put more full-speed (4 lanes PCIe gen 4) M.2 sockets on the board and/or more than one PCIe gen 4 x16 socket. That's something often lost in the discussions, but also less likely to be important to the average desktop gaming build.

At the launch of Ryzen 3000 everyone was sure the only way to get memory above 3200 was going to be on the X570 boards. That seems to have died away now that almost anybody can get 3600-3700, about the fastest you want before de-syncing with infinity fabric, even on B350 boards with decent memory.

After that the other benefit is most X570 boards have much beefier VRM's and much more easily handle 12 core and 16 core processors. But for a 6 core processor the VRMS on them are complete overkill.

Last edited:
And that is, of course, a highly synthetic benchmark/demo. As cool as that is, I don't know if anybody's ever shown any practical application or game that truly uses the bandwidth gen 4 provides to a GPU and thereby how much it might benefit in 'real world'. Even the games demonstrated showed one or two FPS improvement; margin of error.

It seems that even today's games try to run within local (on the card) memory as much as they can as working from main memory will only slow it down even if it's via PCIe gen 4. Putting the money towards a GPU with 8GB memory is far and away more preferable IMO.

Last edited:

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Whew! Thanks again everyone for the responses!

I went with a Tuf motherboard on my previous build, using a 3930k. I think the motherboard died a few months back so now I'm rocking my Q6600 in the meantime. Never had a motherboard go out so I'll probably avoid a Tuf board this go around...

About the video card, an upgrade is in the plans about 6 months from now.

I read more and more about heat concerns on the 3900x, but I will be bringing over my hefty twin tower Noctua cooler which should be up to the task.