[SOLVED] X570 or X470?

AneurinFWJH

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
I wanted to get the new Ryzen 9 3900x for my x470 motherboard that I just ordered. I friend reached out to me and recommended that I should get a x570 instead as they are "A lot better" for that particular processor. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is and if I should stick to the mobo I have now or get a x570 as he will be away for a few days and couldn't tell me.
Cheers.

My current Motherboard is: SUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming Motherboard

Solution
I'm using the X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi and that does a great job overclocking a 3700x, it's packed with features and offers great cooling.

As for the 3900x, unless you have a great AIO cooler, I wouldn't suggest Overclocking a 12 Core on what is quite an average motherboard with a quite unimpressive heatsink. If you're sticking with the X470 ROG, the 3700x is a much better match for your board, it'll still blitz through any gaming/productivity task you have and with the extra money you saved, invest in some fast RAM (3600+) because the new Ryzen Chips love fast ram and will improve your performance even more.

🤙
Your board is fine. Just make sure you update the bios to the latest version before upgrading your CPU.

Zen2 is plenty efficient and should be able to run fine on any decent X470 board.

X570 is not "a lot better"
X570 introduces more features and are better build quality (in general), but isnt a ton better. The 3950x might want a really high end x570, but that is tbd.

AneurinFWJH

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Your board is fine. Just make sure you update the bios to the latest version before upgrading your CPU.

Zen2 is plenty efficient and should be able to run fine on any decent X470 board.

X570 is not "a lot better"
X570 introduces more features and are better build quality (in general), but isnt a ton better. The 3950x might want a really high end x570, but that is tbd.

Ah okay thank you so much, I haven't used the motherboard yet so will I still need to update it? I will have the 3900x chip already installed when I do turn it on for the first time

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
while previous gen boards are advertised to work with newer CPU's as they come out with AM4 platform, this is only for those who already have the board and the CPU from that generation installed, so that they can just simply update the BIOS and then upgrade to the newer CPU.

But if starting from scratch, you need to have the latest board to be able to use the latest CPU, otherwise, you'll need to find a friend or a computer place that has previous gen chips lying around that could help you with upgrading the BIOS to the latest version for it to work.

will I still need to update it? I will have the 3900x chip already installed when I do turn it on for the first time
If your X470 board doesnt have a correct bios revision you cannot boot the system with a ryzen 3900x. That board cannot have the bios updated if the CPU is unsupported.

You will need a Ryzen 2k cpu to update the BIOS if your board doesnt have the correct bios version.
I would try the CPU and if it doesnt boot you can ask AMD for a cpu to update the bios so it works with the ryzen 3900x.

friend or a computer place that has previous gen chips lying around that could help you with upgrading the BIOS to the latest version for it to work.
AMD can be your friend too!
You can contact them and they will send you an Athlon 200ge which will work and allow you to boot the system and update the bios. Then the 3900x will work.

IT takes a while and you have to send the Athlon back, but its free.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Reactions: DMAN999

SeaBrocolli

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
I'm using the X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi and that does a great job overclocking a 3700x, it's packed with features and offers great cooling.

As for the 3900x, unless you have a great AIO cooler, I wouldn't suggest Overclocking a 12 Core on what is quite an average motherboard with a quite unimpressive heatsink. If you're sticking with the X470 ROG, the 3700x is a much better match for your board, it'll still blitz through any gaming/productivity task you have and with the extra money you saved, invest in some fast RAM (3600+) because the new Ryzen Chips love fast ram and will improve your performance even more.

🤙

Solution