[SOLVED] X570 Phantom Gaming 4 - PSC stays on "BOOT" problem

Feb 8, 2022
Hello,

First of all, I've not changed any hardware of my PC since months. Also no update of BIOS has been done since mid of last year.
Today after coming back from lunch I've noticed that the screen was on standby, the light of the PC Tower lighting (ON) but keyboard an mouse were also off. I thought it was hibernated or something, but it was strange as I always disable all these options on Windows 10. So I proceeded to "hard" restart the PC, using the reset button.

It started to sound, ventilators running, but keyboard (retro-illuminated), screen and mouse were not turning on. So I decided to check if the Motherboard was having any LED Error message.

When I opened the PC tower I found this
View: https://imgur.com/a/M8bIpH3

My 1st thought was resetting the CMOS with a screwdriver, leaving it there for almost 5 minutes while the power cable is disconnected. No success after booting after the CMOS reset. I then decided to remove the battery for around 15 minutes, just to be sure. No success.

The I decided to try to boot connecting different things (RAM, HDs, GPU...). I've tried all these combinations with no success.
  • Connected an disconnected HD while having CPU and one RAM Slot used. Tried that RAM in all 4 slots with the two HDs I have (one with SO and other one with other data)
  • Removed the GPU
  • Tested both HDs trying all four slots using both RAM Modules I have and both HDs. (again, as 1st step but without GPU)
  • Removed GPU and HDs and tried with one RAM in all 4 different slots. Then tried the same with the other RAM Module.
During all these tries no USB or other cable was connected into the back panel of the motherboard. Only the HDMI for the Monitor, and I've also tried removing it.

The only "difference" I've noticed is when removing all RAM modules, that the PSC stays at "MEMORY - CPU" (like on the start, but saying there).

Does anyone have any idea what else could I try? I'm running out of ideas... and the only thing I'm thinking is about buying a new motherboard, and try all on it and see if it works, or if at least it gives more information about the problem/issue 🙁

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and ideas ☺️

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When attempting to clear the CMOS, you're advised to disconnect from the wall and the display, then remove the CMOS battery and then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power off of the motherboard. You can replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes and see if the issue persists.

You might want to parse your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Feb 8, 2022
I'll try pressing holding the power button after having disconnected the cable from the wall. The battery is already removed and I've put a screwdriver in the CMOS "jumpers"

I think the specs are not so relevant, as I've made no changes in hardware or BIOS or software in the last months, and it was running fine (yes, I was shutting it down every night lol)

CPU: Ryzen 5900
Motherboard: ASROCK X570 Phantom Gaming 4
Ram: 54ID"I0Umknn"TkrLcyu"X"uejyct¦"FFT6/5422 FKOO"EN38"Fwcn"Mkv
SSD/HDD: Samsung 870 Evo
GPU: AMD 6900XT
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 850 Watt
Chassis: be quiet! 600
Monitor: Samsung C49HG90

Feb 8, 2022
Just to update.
I've tried with other GPU, no success.
I've tried with other PowerSupply, no success.

I've tried removing the power cable from the wall, removing the battery, holding the power button 40s, and connecting back again... but no success :(

I don't know what else to try 😣

Feb 8, 2022
All night (8h) without cable, battery, having pressed the power button for 1 minute and then several other times.
No luck :(

Feb 8, 2022
Today I'll receive a new RAM Module and a new motherboard.
I'll update this post to help other people if they have the same situation.

Feb 8, 2022
New motherboard and memory received.

Build up everything and the new Motherboard LED stops on "VGA". Reading the motherboard manual indicates that if the graphic card has been tested on another PC or if several graphic cards don't work, can be a CPU problem (so far I know the Ryzen 5900X has no integrated graphics).

I'll try to request the CPU warranty, let's see...

This is driving me crazy as I need the PC to work

Feb 8, 2022
Final update
The problem was the CPU. Just tried a different CPU from a Friend and it runs without any problem. I hope this helps other people :) which maybe have an AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X with X570 Phantom Gaming 4