Question X570 phantom gaming x w/ AMD Ryzen 7 3700x not booting - black screen

Apr 29, 2020
This is a new pc build.

Currently in the system and connected:

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x w/ wraith cooler
OLOy WarHawk RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (single stick for trouble shooting in the A2 slot)
Asus Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card
no storage currently installed

I have double and triple checked that all power is seated well.

system seems to power up fine, all lights and fans come on, no video output whether using the mobo hdmi or the video cards. tried without the GPU installed using only the onboard graphics and had the same result.

I have no idea what is going on and currently have no way to test, I believe I am at the bare minimum to get into the BIOS. I have tested the hdmi cable and monitor on another system and both work fine.

is the next step to try a BIOS flashback?
could to CPU be bad? this is the second mobo I have tried. the first was a much cheaper asus ROG Strix B450-F and had the same results... no graphic output whatsoever

This is a new pc build.

Currently in the system and connected:

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x w/ wraith cooler
OLOy WarHawk RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (single stick for trouble shooting in the A2 slot)
Asus Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card
no storage currently installed

I have double and triple checked that all power is seated well.

system seems to power up fine, all lights and fans come on, no video output whether using the mobo hdmi or the video cards. tried without the GPU installed using only the onboard graphics and had the same result.

I have no idea what is going on and currently have no way to test, I believe I am at the bare minimum to get into the BIOS. I have tested the hdmi cable and monitor on another system and both work fine.

is the next step to try a BIOS flashback?
could to CPU be bad? this is the second mobo I have tried. the first was a much cheaper asus ROG Strix B450-F and had the same results... no graphic output whatsoever
Forget about the mobo hdmi , that will never work with that CPU. Did you connect power to GPU ? Do you hear any POST code beeps ?

Apr 29, 2020
Update. After re-seating everything I have a "0d" Dr. Debug notification. According to an old article (2013) on ASRocks website:

"Problem related to memory, VGA card or other devices. Please clear CMOS, re-install the memory and VGA card, and remove other USB, PCI devices."

This is not overly specific...even if the memory had a compatibility issue (which it shouldn't) the computer would still boot into the BIOS I think. In order to clear the CMOS on the mobo using the button, should there be no power to unit? I have never had a mobo with a CMOS reset button, I have always removed the battery.