[SOLVED] X570 Taichi. Update BIOS? Which downloads do I need?

Apr 19, 2020
Hey, everyone! New member, nice ta meetcha.

I'm putting together a new build and the part I often trip myself up on is installing the drivers and such from the manufacturer's website. Asrock seem to be doing a better job than most I've used before, since most have "Driver" in their name. So often I've downloaded stuff only to find it's a dumb utility that's not as useful as it could be or just isn't relevent to me.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/#Download
That said, I'd still like some confirmation of what I should get, since there are no descriptions. For example, does the AMD All In 1 come with all the drivers and such in a single package, or is that just a thing by itself and I need the others as well?
Are some of the utilities actually useful or even required?

Second question, I'm still kinda old school with PC building, my last build that I'm still using is an i7 920. Been saving up for a while for this new one. My point is I was taught "Leave the BIOS alone unless you have a problem and you can see the BIOS update will fix it"

But I hear that's not so true any more? I'm wondering if I'll need to update the BIOS out of the box. I know the x570 supports Ryzen Gen 3 out of the box, but I'd like to get the best experience.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Mobo: ASRock X570 Taichi
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX2080 Super
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200

Thanks in advance =)

Solution

I'm putting together a new build and the part I often trip myself up on is installing the drivers and such from the manufacturer's website. Asrock seem to be doing a better job than most I've used before, since most have "Driver" in their name. So often I've downloaded stuff only to find it's a dumb utility that's not as useful as it could be or just isn't relevent to me.
That said, I'd still like some confirmation of what I should get, since there are no descriptions. For example, does the AMD All In 1 come with all the drivers and such in a single package, or is that just a thing by itself and I need the others as well?
Are some...

Are some of the utilities actually useful or even required?

Second question, I'm still kinda old school with PC building, my last build that I'm still using is an i7 920. Been saving up for a while for this new one. My point is I was taught "Leave the BIOS alone unless you have a problem and you can see the BIOS update will fix it"

But I hear that's not so true any more? I'm wondering if I'll need to update the BIOS out of the box. I know the x570 supports Ryzen Gen 3 out of the box, but I'd like to get the best experience.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Mobo: ASRock X570 Taichi
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX2080 Super
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200

Thanks in advance =)
For a 3700x by all means makes sure it's up to date with the latest BIOS. BIOS updates that included AGESA (processor initialization code) updates fixed early performance problems with Ryzen so they're pretty much essential if not up to AGESA 1004b.

As a rule, I don't like running motherboard utilities. Drivers are different, though.

I'd get the chipset drivers from the AMD support web site to know you're getting the latest.
I'd run Asrock's LAN drivers and Audio drivers, but that's all.
Run their RGB stuff if you need it, but un-install it after setting up your light show if not needed to keep it running.

Absolutely avoid Norton Security. Setup Windows right (EFI mode, Secure Boot, core isolation w/memory integrity, etc.) and you don't really need it. Defender is good enough along with the free version of MalwareBytes.

Last edited:
Reactions: GarrettL
Solution
Apr 19, 2020
Hadn't thought about getting the AMD chipset drivers directly from AMD's own site. I've always just grabbed them from the mobo manufacturer. Good idea.

Any idea what the all in one thing is btw? Or is that the AMD drivers themselves?

And hoo boy do I ever know about Norton. Used to use that back in the day when I thought paying for anti virus was better than free. Learned my lesson when I needed to download a program to help me uninstall the damn thing.

Also you didn't recommend the Bluetooth driver. Any reason for that?

Last edited:
Any idea what the all in one thing is btw? Or is that the AMD drivers themselves?
The all-in-one drivers include the GPU driver for a Ryzen APU... 2200g/2400g/3200g/3400g or one of the Athhlon xxxG chips. You could get the same thing with chipset and gpu drivers separately, but totally unnecessary for CPU with discrete GPU combo like most Taichi board owners would be using.

I mean, what's the point of a Taichi if putting an APU on it...amiright??

I didn't mention bluetooth because I forgot :) I'd use the one from the board's support list the same as the LAN and Audio drivers.