Question X570 taichi with ryzen 3700 X

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
Hello and thanks to any advice! Im about to begin a new build with a X570 taichi/ryzen 3700X . Im going to use a crucial p1 1tb m.2 as my boot drive and a 2tb seagate barracuda for storage. My question is on my post boot should i have my thumb drive with windows inserted and go straight to windows installation? Im not going to have the HDD plugged in at this point until i get pc set up. Will the bios see my m.2 during this initial boot or will i have to do something in bios to turn on m.2?
One other question is .....i have 4x8 gb DDR4 3200 sticks of ram. Should i go ahead and install all 4 sticks or should i just use 2 sticks in the a2 and b2 positions intially? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have had i bit of experience with 5 new builds but never any with a M.2 drive on set up. I have mostly been self taught with the aide of the web and youtube.

Thanks!!!!!

The motherboard should detect the M.2 drive just fine, especially if you're not going to connect another drive on first boot. Just be wary when you do that the SATA port for the HDD doesn't share bandwidth with the M.2 slot you're using.

I believe the 3700X only handles dual channels rather than quad channel for the RAM.

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
The motherboard should detect the M.2 drive just fine, especially if you're not going to connect another drive on first boot. Just be wary when you do that the SATA port for the HDD doesn't share bandwidth with the M.2 slot you're using.

I believe the 3700X only handles dual channels rather than quad channel for the RAM.
Thank you for the reply........im a beginner here for sure. On the not sharing bandwidth with the m.2 what does that mean for me and what should be wary of? And as far as the ram are you saying that 4 sticks will not gain me anything?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
M-1 is Sata or NVMe, M-2 is NVMe, M-3 is Sata or NVMe. Only M-3 disables Sata slot #5 if it's used. Meaning that you only have so many available Sata ports, so if you use the M-3 m.2 slot on the motherboard, you lose use of Sata port #5. Since you'll still have use of #1-4 at least, it's not usually an issue.

Ryzens love fast ram. That's a given fact. To get that fast ram, it must be used in dual channel, A2/B2 as A1/B1 are basically frequency capped at 2933MHz/2666MHz with use of dual/single rank chipsets. So if you want 3200MHz/3600MHz, get a 2 stick kit only as a 4 stick kit is seriously questionable at those speeds.

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
Check your manual as sometimes a SATA port is disabled when a m.2 drive is used.

Running 4 sticks of RAM gains you nothing but more possibility of headaches getting the RAM to run at stock speed or faster.

Thanks for the advice. Ive learned that im good to go with the m.2 and sata port thing. As far as the RAM goes im going to go with the 2 stick route to retain my stock speeds. i did buy 4 sticks of 3200 but that shows my in-experience for sure. Once im set up and stable i may install all 4 and see what happens but we will see.
Thanks again!

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
M-1 is Sata or NVMe, M-2 is NVMe, M-3 is Sata or NVMe. Only M-3 disables Sata slot #5 if it's used. Meaning that you only have so many available Sata ports, so if you use the M-3 m.2 slot on the motherboard, you lose use of Sata port #5. Since you'll still have use of #1-4 at least, it's not usually an issue.

Ryzens love fast ram. That's a given fact. To get that fast ram, it must be used in dual channel, A2/B2 as A1/B1 are basically frequency capped at 2933MHz/2666MHz with use of dual/single rank chipsets. So if you want 3200MHz/3600MHz, get a 2 stick kit only as a 4 stick kit is seriously questionable at those speeds.

Hey i appreciate your advice on this. I didnt think using the m-1 would be an issue but the ram situation sure revealed my lack of experience as i did purchase 4 sticks of 8gb 3200. I could have gotten 2- 16gb sticks for about what i paid for the 4.

Thanks for the info!

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
I agree with all posters that ryzen lives dual channel ram. However for this particular board, it uses a t-pology ram config which doesnt favor the dual channel that much.
Ive only knew that after Buildzoid's review about it.
I ordered a dual channel kit at 3200mhz too and for the same board but if i knew that info before i made my purchase i would have gone for 4

TRENDING THREADS