[SOLVED] X570 with 8 pin cpu connector from power supply

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
Hi Guys.

so here is the thing. my friend bought a X570 but the powersupply he got is EVGA G3 650 80 plus gold certified.

problem is the power supply has 8 pin connector only and 4 pin connector is missing.

is there a way to fix this? will the motherboard run?

thank you.

Solution
he is using RTX 2060 super and there is 8 pin and 6 pin power. so both VGA 1 and VGA 2 will be occupied by that right?

If you use two separate cables. But why would you do that?

I said:

IIRC: The PSU comes with two PCIe cables. One has two PCIe connectors and the other has one.

Is that not correct? AFAIK: You have ONE CABLE with TWO CONNECTORS. If not, get ONE CABLE with TWO CONNECTORS. Then you have one cable for the GPU, and two cables for the CPU (one 8-pin and one 4-pin).

i told him not to use the other 4 since he will be using r5 3600 only and will not be overclocking but it should be fine without that 4 pin right?

As I said:

The 8-pin alone works in 99% of cases.

And as others said...
Where can i get that though? Is there a converter for sata cable to 4 pin for cpu cable?

You can't adapt a SATA or Molex to an ATX12V connector because it only has one +12V. You'd be doing more harm then good.

If you absolutely must have the additional CPU power cable, you can buy a cable and plug it into one of the CPU/GPU ports on the PSU. Do not use an adapter.

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
You can't adapt a SATA or Molex to an ATX12V connector because it only has one +12V. You'd be doing more harm then good.

If you absolutely must have the additional CPU power cable, you can buy a cable and plug it into one of the CPU/GPU ports on the PSU. Do not use an adapter.
Can i plug it on sata or perif? Because the gpu slot in psu ia occupied by my graphics card.

Can i plug it on sata or perif?

Absolutely not.

You have two 8-pin sockets labeled "VGA" (1 & 2) and one 8-pin socket labeled "CPU" (1). All three of these are the same pin out. You can plug CPU's into the CPU socket and vise versa.

IIRC: The PSU comes with two PCIe cables. One has two PCIe connectors and the other has one.

What is the graphics card and how many cables do you have going from the PSU to the graphics card? If it's one graphics card with two PCIe connectors, use the cable with two PCIe connectors. Then plug one CPU power cable into the unused "VGA" connector and the other into "CPU".

Reactions: bernzkilot

bernzkilot

Commendable
Feb 15, 2017
Absolutely not.

You have two 8-pin sockets labeled "VGA" (1 & 2) and one 8-pin socket labeled "CPU" (1). All three of these are the same pin out. You can plug CPU's into the CPU socket and vise versa.

What is the graphics card and how many cables do you have going from the PSU to the graphics card? If it's one graphics card with two PCIe connectors, use the cable with two PCIe connectors. Then plug one CPU power cable into the unused "VGA" connector and the other into "CPU".
he is using RTX 2060 super and there is 8 pin and 6 pin power. so both VGA 1 and VGA 2 will be occupied by that right? where can we plug the the remaining 1? i told him not to use the other 4 since he will be using r5 3600 only and will not be overclocking but it should be fine without that 4 pin right?

he is using RTX 2060 super and there is 8 pin and 6 pin power. so both VGA 1 and VGA 2 will be occupied by that right?

If you use two separate cables. But why would you do that?

I said:

Is that not correct? AFAIK: You have ONE CABLE with TWO CONNECTORS. If not, get ONE CABLE with TWO CONNECTORS. Then you have one cable for the GPU, and two cables for the CPU (one 8-pin and one 4-pin).

i told him not to use the other 4 since he will be using r5 3600 only and will not be overclocking but it should be fine without that 4 pin right?

As I said:

And as others said:

Typically, you can run the motherboard with just the 8-pin CPU connected and leave the extra 4-pin empty.

For most cases, you will be doing just fine with the single 8pin.

I simply chimed in when you came up with the crazy idea to use an adapter. DO NOT use an adapter if you feel for some reason you have to use the 4-pin in addition to the 8-pin.

Reactions: bernzkilot
Solution