[SOLVED] X570 worth it for future Ryzen?

samr4560

Honorable
Jun 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

Since AMD just announced that the next Ryzen CPU's will only be compatible with x570 and b550 I was wondering whether buying an x570 at this point might be a better long-term investment? I'm working on putting a new desktop together and I'd like to be able to do some upgrading over the years instead of just waiting 5-6 years and then replacing the whole thing at once. (As I did with my last desktop). I was ready to buy a b450 board as they're available for much cheaper, but now I'm wondering if that would limit my ability to upgrade the CPU down the line.

Thanks!

Sam.

Solution
That was the plan yes- I'm hoping to do this build over the next few months and I got the impression 4000 was still a ways away. But being able to switch to a 4000 CPU in the future (If I need to) would be nice!

Thanks!
Agree, nice option. I’ve not seen hard dates but from what I read we should see 4000 series in 1-2 months.

samr4560

Honorable
Jun 24, 2015
Compatible does not mean it will support all the features just like a 3000 series cpu is compatible with the 450 chipset but not all the features, like pcie4.
Thanks! Can I ask more about what you mean when you say some features may not be supported? I was under the impression that things like pcie were backwards compatible. Could an x570 motherboard be rendered obsolete due to incompatibility with components other than the cpu? (And I assume the RAM).

samr4560

Honorable
Jun 24, 2015
x570 would be the better long-term investment because of features. It is important to note that we're nearing the end of socket AM4, though.
Thanks for your reply- if the 4000 series Ryzen processors are still on AM4 though would it be safe to assume there's at least a year or so of life left in the socket? I know sockets don't last forever but I guess I'm thinking of upgrade paths for the next 1-3 years and trying to decide if an x570 board is worth the extra.

Thanks for your reply- if the 4000 series Ryzen processors are still on AM4 though would it be safe to assume there's at least a year or so of life left in the socket? I know sockets don't last forever but I guess I'm thinking of upgrade paths for the next 1-3 years and trying to decide if an x570 board is worth the extra.
4000 series is the last to use AM4. However when a new socket is released that does not mean you have to upgrade straight away. I assume you plan on buying a 3000 series cpu and not waiting for 4000?

samr4560

Honorable
Jun 24, 2015
4000 series is the last to use AM4. However when a new socket is released that does not mean you have to upgrade straight away. I assume you plan on buying a 3000 series cpu and not waiting for 4000?
That was the plan yes- I'm hoping to do this build over the next few months and I got the impression 4000 was still a ways away. But being able to switch to a 4000 CPU in the future (If I need to) would be nice!

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Since AMD just announced that the next Ryzen CPU's will only be compatible with x570 and b550 I was wondering whether buying an x570 at this point might be a better long-term investment? I'm working on putting a new desktop together and I'd like to be able to do some upgrading over the years instead of just waiting 5-6 years and then replacing the whole thing at once. (As I did with my last desktop). I was ready to buy a b450 board as they're available for much cheaper, but now I'm wondering if that would limit my ability to upgrade the CPU down the line.

Thanks!

Sam.
I think the decision's is pretty well made for you based on the weak availability of decent B450 boards in the North American market place. I was just trying to find some nice ones yesterday. Very few could I find not priced way over MSRP, and mostly only D or E tier boards at that.

I hope B550 boards come in soon, and at an economic price point or AMD's got some really tough times coming.

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
I think the decision's is pretty well made for you based on the weak availability of decent B450 boards in the North American market place. I was just trying to find some nice ones yesterday. Very few could I find not priced way over MSRP, and mostly only D or E tier boards at that.

I hope B550 boards come in soon, and at an economic price point or AMD's got some really tough times coming.

Poor availability is more likely due to the coronavirus than anything else - production has slowed down and parts aren't getting shipped

Poor availability is more likely due to the coronavirus than anything else - production has slowed down and parts aren't getting shipped
That's what I've been wondering...but go to eBay and I find a lot of desireable boards that are available from overseas. At more reasonable markups, at least, even considering shipping in many cases. How can THEY get them? and how can they get them imported to US? I have my suspicions, but that's all.