Question X58 1366 socket - Dual Channel MOTHERBOARDS? With x5690, W3690, i7 990x?

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Alright guys I got another big money question for everyone,
on the older x58 boards they got three CPU's that I love but have questions about,
the Intel x5690, the W3690, and the Intel i7 990x core all these cores support tri-channel memory.

But my question is would they work with just dual channel motherboards?
I got an old Sabertooth X58 from Asus and I was thinking of setting up a home server with it, but
its not in a good condition as a whole so, was thinking maybe moving onto the spare dual channel boards I have
from that generation and chipset.

Would the HEXA cores still work on those boards? Minus a notable performance loss.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What board are you considering? I wasn't aware of any true X58 boards that were limited to dual?
I would suspect a lot of the "X58" off-brand boards out of China in the last couple of years would be dual channel, but they're not X58 + Dual channel, they're using lesser chipsets.

The CPUs themselves should work with single, dual or triple channel memory (depending on the memory banks used).... A lot of X58 boards supported dual alongside triple, but there's probably some that are single or triple only...

TRENDING THREADS