X58 is THE ONE TO GET if you have the means.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-gulftown-westmere-core-i7,9271.html#BOM_comments

This article alone should make ppl that are about to buy a new PC and motherboard that an X58 is well worth the extra $50. The core i7920 is still a great chip and reasonable. This PC when built will at last at least 2-4more years than the P55's lifespan... that alone should be well worth it. I've said this more than 20 times in various posts because it is truly worth it if you have the means and perhaps a little extra($100 or so for i7920$50 more, and $50 more for the motherboard over a P55)......

Solution

+1

x58 is not the right system for everyone......

This PC when built will at last at least 2-4more years than the P55's lifespan...

Question, How do you know that the x58 will last 2+ years longer than the p55? In life cycle, the p55 was just release 3 months ago... intel probably has lots of plans for the p55 but not a lot of info been released about more powerful cpu's.

that alone should be well worth it. I've said this more than 20 times in various posts because it is truly worth it if you have the means and perhaps a little extra($100 or so for i7920$50 more, and $50 more for the motherboard over a P55)......

Maybe. maybe not.

Really, most people don't need the power of the i7's from either platforms. Although if you do need the i7's power, then p55 i7 maybe better under a different task than i7 on the x58 and ect.

Examples:

X58:
C.A.D really benefits from the triple channel memory bandwidth the x58 offers

p55:
video editing/converting would run better here due to higher stock speeds and an aggressive turbo boost.

EDIT:

About the gulftown cpu, unless you running professional applications, gulftown would not be even worth getting until the common applications start using at least 4 threads on a daily usage.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Well I do agree, the 1366/X58 platform will most likley live longer due to new CPU's being released for it however you need to consider that the 1156/p55 platform was released just recently and Intel will most likley be updating hardware in that platform and has future plans for it as another poster said here.
However just because a platform is at its End-of-life doesn't mean you need to throw it away and immediatly upgrade...i bet that the far majority of people still use Core2Dou's and Core2Quads whether it be in the businiss or consumer sector. And if you mean that an actual 1366 build will last longer in terms of lifespan you are wrong, what makes you think an x58 board will last more years than a p55 board...thier reliablity is not preset( the actualy hardware no the platform's life). Moreover, the P55/1156 platform with the current i5 satisifies a huge majority, the i7920 w/ its triple channel ram is really only required for some crazy applications that are designed for it which include AutoCad, Photoshop, programming...etc gaming really isn't anywhere on this list and neither is any other popular daily used application. I don't want to be labeled a hypocrite because i got an i7920 but i did just because i can and wanted to have some fun as well and I do multitasking and photoshopping.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

You'll more likely find video work is better on X58 because of the triple channel RAM too. Standard-definition video will benefit from just having a higher clock speed because there's not a massive memory requirement, but HD and heavy-duty encoding is more memory dependant because of the sheer amount of information being processed.

But basically yes, if you use your computer for professional media purposes X58 is the way to go, if not you'd be more than fine with P55 (but save some cash and don't both with i7 8xx)

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The new Gulftown processor (32nm, six cores) that is compatible with some of the new X58 motherboards (ASUS P6X58D Premium) is a transition processor that signals the X58 platform is over the hill. X58 motherboards will still be around for at least a year. This processor will most likely be priced close to $900.

The i9 processors, also 32nm and six cores, will use a new motherboard.

notty22

Distinguished
Gulftown is what was rumored to be called I9. It seems Intel is not going to use that naming scheme now. The 6 core processor will use the 1366 platform and continue to be called I7's.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16828/35/

Your a day late and a dollar short. ;) *looks at link op has*

notty22

Distinguished

My comment was to "correct" dupaul's post that there were two different future products.
A 32nm 6 core Gultown and a I9 that would need a new m/b.
They are one in the same.

Ahhh...... sorry about that. I didn't make that connection.

Not significantly. Uncompressed HD video at 1920 x 1080 x 30fps requires a bandwidth of less than 200MB/sec. EACH DDR3 channel has a peak bandwidth of about 8000MB/sec. So even uncompressed HD video requires only about 1.5% of a two-channel memory controller's capacity versus about 0.9% of a three-channel controller's. Compared to the other work the CPU has to do in order to manipulate the data stream (particularly if you're encoding or decoding the video), the memory component is pretty insignificant.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I called the new gulftown processor i7-980X (32nm, six cores) a transition processor for the X58 platform in much the same way the Core2Quad processor was a transition processor for the P45 platform. It signaled the end of the current platform.

By this I mean, that Intel introduced the Core2Quad processors for the P45 platform about a year before it's useful life was ended by the introduction of i5-750 and i7-860 Quad Core processors for the P55 platform.

In much the same way, the X58 platform has about another year of useful life (it already is over one year old), before Intel introduces i9 processors for the X68 motherboards.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

The i7 920 can easily be overclocked to those clocked speeds you are talking about to about 3.8-4.0ghz from 2.66ghz, so there is no problem for video editing. Plus the X58 has turbo boost AND hyper threading as it was the first to impliment it. It also uses both 16lanes or even more of Pcie2.0 so the gpus can connect directly to the cpu and impliment full SLI or even triple and 4 cards can be used.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Yeah but you can put 2 5970s in a P55 and get about a 3% performance hit, not worth mentioning. Also you can get a good P55 board for $120, dual chanel DDR3 for $90, and the X3440 for $230 and as apposed to a cheap X58 board for $160, triple channel DDR3 for at least $140, and an i7 820 for $290. You save $130 on the P55 build and only lose triple channel DDR3 which is useless 99% of the time. $130 can go a long way.

I personally think that both systems are great buys and that both will live for a while.

If it were me though I would choose a x58 based on the CPU itself. I feel that a Core i7 920 itself will last longer than anything below it performance wise. Its the high end enthusiast part. And its not that bad in price really.

Honestly, you're just guessing here. Intel has not officially announced any i9 processors, and even if they do announce an X68, that is by no means a guarantee that the x58 will be incompatible (for example, many P35 and X38 boards fully supported all of the 45nm Core 2s, even after X48 and P45 were available).

AMW1011

Distinguished

And here's hoping you didn't buy a cheap one that can't supply the power needed.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Well I figure when we went from 65nm duals to 45nm quads we got old 65nm duals that had a TDP of 65w and 45nm quads that had 95w TDP at best. From that example I believe the best we can hope for is that they will run about the same.

From dual to quad is a doubling of the core count, while 4 -> 6 is only a 50% boost. Besides, I'm going based on some tests I've seen, not just guesses. I'm pretty sure they showed an overall reduction of power when going from a bloomfield to a gulftown (though I think the TDP rating is the same).