X64 Capable Processor refusing 64-bit OS

mainangethe

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I had to reinstall my x64 workstation running W10 64bit which got corrupted with a W7 32-bit OS I had at the time.

However, hours later when I was able to get a 64-bit OS. I can't upgrade it with a W7 64-bit from any option. I keep getting an error of drivers missing during installation window/process.

My system type is now reading x86 processor even in device manager. However Windows Ratings index report still says its 64-bit capable.

I'm wondering whether this is a BIOS issue considering even if I format the HDD I still can't install the W7 64 bit OS.

Motherboard - Gigabyte H61 MS1

Solution
This "drivers missing" could have different causes. I've got the error when:
- used a corrupt Windows kit,
- all drive letters used.
I suggest testing a different Windows kit/media, if possible.

bignastyid

Titan
You can't upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. If you want a 64-bit OS you need to do a clean reinstall.
Where did your Win 7 installation media come from?
If you had Win 10 before why are you installing windows 7? Win 10 installation files can be easily and legally obtained from Microsoft.

mainangethe

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
@alexiou

I have tried a clean install with a 64-bit OS and that's where I'm getting an error "drivers missing" thus I'm unable to do a clean install.

Furthermore, it still refuses even after formatting my HDD

mainangethe

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
@bignastyid

You're right, W32 can't upgrade to a W64. Only works the other way around.

And I got the W10 before with a W7 64 bit upgrade.

It's just that this time around I put in a W7 32bit at first and after realizing it. I'm unable to remove the x86 architecture and return my machine back to x64 in order to then do a clean install of a W7 64 bit that I'll later upgrade to a W10 64bit.

What motherboard using?

mainangethe

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

I posted it in the beginning. It's a gigabyte

mainangethe

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I bought a flash disk and created a bootable w10 64 bit and I was able to bypass the drivers missing part

Though I also had to convert the MBR to GPT as well.

Thanks everyone

Latest posts