X79 problems with memory, lockups, and boot times

FirestormX

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Hello,
I have a few problems that I need help with. If anyone is able to help with at least one answer, I'd appreciate it. The problems may be related, which is why I didn't make separate threads for them.

A quick overview of my hardware: I have an ASUS Sabertooth x79, with an i7 3930k, a 4x8 (32) GB Corsair Vengeance RAM kit, and an ASUS Radeon 7850, and a SSD hard drive for my Windows 7 Ultimate OS, and several TBs of storage hard drives.

The problems I'm experiencing:
1) From the very first time I booted up my PC after I installed everything, only 16GBs of RAM was detected by Windows (Win7 Ultimate supports 32GB no problem). I've made sure each of the sticks of RAM works on their own, and that each of the slots works as well.

2) When I run an intense video game (such as Total War: Shogun 2, or King Arthur 2), the computer will randomly lock up completely, and make the low-pitch buzzing beeeeeeem sound that is made when a sound is repeated several times a second, continuously. This will sometimes happen hours into the game, or within the first mouse movement in the game itself (once I get past the menu). I was playing these games on a previous computer with my 7850 video card, so I don't think that it's a video card problem. I then have to hold the power button or yank the power cord to turn off the PC.
Does anyone know of what could be causing this, or at least a program I can log some useful information on what the computer is doing before it crashes? I highly doubt it is an overheating issue.

3) A little while ago, I experienced the above problem, and after holding the power button to turn it off, and then turning it back on, the computer sat at the ASUS TUF splash image for a long time, and has been doing this every time I restart (it sits there for 5-10 minutes). I hadn't installed any new hardware when this started happening, so I don't know why it is sitting on the splash screen for so long.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions. If you need more information (eg driver versions, etc), please let me know.

triumph tr6

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Did you set the XMP profile for the memory? Or manually setting the timings for it. I would think you need to get the memory recognized properly first that is probably your issue for both the game freezing and the splash screen.

TRENDING THREADS