X800 Pro going back...

Hi all,

Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going back.
Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers etc
could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct replacement
of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar spec /
similar price?

Thanks

Dave

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"David Gouge" <ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
> back. Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers
> etc could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct
> replacement of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar
> spec / similar price?

nVidia 6800GT is the obvious alternative. Completely delighted with mine,
after the past several years of ATI ownership. Don't get me wrong, I am not
a fanboy: I thought my old 9700Pro was a stormer of a card. I am sure you
would be happy with either X800 or GF6800. But you asked for an
alternative...

Chip

David, What version of windows are you using?

See post below for w98 and x800 not supported.

I have an x800 Pro on Xp with no problems. If I could get another card I
would probably go for the 6800 gt also.

Warty

"David Gouge" <ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
> back. Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers
> etc could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct
> replacement of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar
> spec / similar price?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

"David Gouge" <ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
back.
> Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers etc
> could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct
replacement
> of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar spec /
> similar price?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Don't buy Sapphire. Pick a different brand (or go directly to ATI)...

"Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
> "David Gouge" <ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my
>> Sapphire
>> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
> back.
>> Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers etc
>> could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct
> replacement
>> of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar spec /
>> similar price?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Don't buy Sapphire. Pick a different brand (or go directly to ATI)...

LOL, thanks for the advice. Just in the nick of time! ;)

Anyway, i think i might jump ship to nVidia anyway.

Thanks

David Gouge wrote:

> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
> back.

Maybe because of a wimpy power supply? Or a lemon issue..

--
Every day above ground is a good day

"kalev-" <you.wish@duh.net> wrote in message
> David Gouge wrote:
>
>> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my
>> Sapphire
>> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
>> back.
>
> Maybe because of a wimpy power supply? Or a lemon issue..

One new Antec 450w power supply later and same problems. :O(

OS was/is XP.

Might look closely at the GT then.

Thanks all for the suggestions! :)

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:24:06 -0000, "David Gouge"
<ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote:

>One new Antec 450w power supply later and same problems. :O(
>
>OS was/is XP.
>
>Might look closely at the GT then.
>
>Thanks all for the suggestions! :)

Lots of people use the X800 with no problems so there has to be an
issue somewhere and not something inherently wrong with X800's. Get a
6800GT if you think that will solve it but it is possible to get a
duff card from either camp.

"Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message

> Don't buy Sapphire. Pick a different brand (or go directly to ATI)...

But Sapphire build for ATI !

"Dion L Heap" <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

> "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Don't buy Sapphire. Pick a different brand (or go directly to ATI)...
> >
> But Sapphire build for ATI !

No, Sapphire does not build the boards for ATI. You buy a graphics card
directly from ATI... Sapphire has nothing to do with it...

The most likely scenario:

1. You put in a 6800GT; the crashes disappear.
2. You take out the 6800GT and reinsert the X800Pro, and the crashes do not
come back...

"David Gouge" <ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
back.
> Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers etc
> could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct
replacement
> of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar spec /
> similar price?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

"David Gouge" <ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going
> back. Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers
> etc could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct
> replacement of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar
> spec / similar price?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Nvidia 6800 GT.

In article <m52id.739$VI3.424@sam.nntpserver.com>, David Gouge says...
> Hi all,
>
> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my Sapphire
> X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's going back.
> Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest drivers etc
> could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a direct replacement
> of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for similar spec /
> similar price?

THat'll be the PSU that wasn't up to the job then.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Tom Brown wrote:

> "Dion L Heap" <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Don't buy Sapphire. Pick a different brand (or go directly to ATI)...
>> >
>> But Sapphire build for ATI !
>>

> No, Sapphire does not build the boards for ATI. You buy a graphics card
> directly from ATI... Sapphire has nothing to do with it...

You might want to do a little more research. In some markets Sapphire
boards have been sold by ATI as ATI brand, and there have been times when
selected Sapphire-brand products have been available from the ATI web
store. There's clearly a close link between the two companies.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> "Dion L Heap" <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Don't buy Sapphire. Pick a different brand (or go directly to ATI)...
>> >
>> But Sapphire build for ATI !
>>

> No, Sapphire does not build the boards for ATI. You buy a graphics card
> directly from ATI... Sapphire has nothing to do with it...

and ATI have a bunch of Mounties making them in their Canadian factory do
they. Moose heads on the wall and all? LOL.

Think again Tom!

Chip

"David Gouge" wrote in message <news:m52id.739$VI3.424@sam.nntpserver.com>:

I'm using an Asus X800pro/TVD. As there are no drivers for Win98 anymore,
even the latest 4.10 for Win98 do not support this X800, I was forced to
install WinXP.

First I tried XP with service pack 2 and the latest Catalyst 4.10 - some if
not all games which ran fine using Win98 and a TNT 2 are now crashing. So I
reverted to WinXP SP1/DirectX 9.0c and guess how - some of the problems are
gone.

However not all vanished. So I decided to use the latest Omega drivers
which solved some more crashes.
At least I've some nasty crashes at the time of game startup and during
game play e.g. a D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR thrown by UT2k2, UT2k4 and some
more games. Enemy Territory runs with Windows 95 compatibility mode just
fine (very nice indeed)....

Of course my TNT2 was an old graphics card but I liked it and it ran much
more stable than XP and this X800.

BTW I've got an Enermax 480W PSU which should give enough current for this
card as it is not overclocked right now.

--
cu,
Michael

Does video acceleration work on your 6800?
I've returned 2 already, and ordered an Ati x800 pro instead.

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

> "David Gouge" <ReMOVEdave@REMOVEchasebs.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Finally lost my temper with all the freezing and crashing that my
>> Sapphire X800 Pro was causing (10 in as many minutes last night) so it's
>> going back. Not even a complete format and reinstall of windows / latest
>> drivers etc could cure the prob. Dont really want to tempt getting a
>> direct replacement of the same one, so has anyone got any suggestions for
>> similar spec / similar price?
>
> nVidia 6800GT is the obvious alternative. Completely delighted with mine,
> after the past several years of ATI ownership. Don't get me wrong, I am
> not a fanboy: I thought my old 9700Pro was a stormer of a card. I am
> sure you would be happy with either X800 or GF6800. But you asked for an
> alternative...
>
> Chip

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Nobody_of_Consequence" <none314@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does video acceleration work on your 6800?
> I've returned 2 already, and ordered an Ati x800 pro instead.

Yes and no. Yes video acceleration works - on dvd's and other stuff. No it
doesn't work with HD WMV's. But on the other hand, I don't have any desire
to watch HD movies on a 20" LCD screen, and my TV is a 848x480 pixel plasma.
So HD is really no big deal for me. Its probably no big deal for 99% of the
people "complaining" about the HD problem!

Also, I can watch HD WMV's nice and smooth with no dropped frames anyway.
Its just my CPU usage is about 80%. Who cares.

Granted there will be a FEW people who bought 6800's specifically to watch
HD WMV's. And these people have a right to be disappointed. But this issue
is blown WAY out of proportion. Heck, it will be fixed in a later driver
release anyway.

Chip

SL

wrong country...go further north. Its Santa's workshop your thinking of.