spunky5150

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2004
I just got another great bargain on ebay of an Ati x800 Pro for £185 because I'm upgrading my system. I also got 1Gb Kingston DDR2 Hyper X 675Mhz ram but have to wait a couple fo months for a board that supports it.
I've read that in order for all my stuff to work I have to have a Pci Express X800xt? Is this true and have I just bown some hardned earned cash for something that's not going to be much use other than in my current system.
Cheers

Be specific.

Full system specs, and what exactly are you trying to accomplaish, and what games do you play?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

spunky5150

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2004
Ok.
Given the fact that I've purchased DDR2 5400 ram I'll have to wait a short while to get a board that supports this ram fully. I'm looking at an Athlon64 939 cpu as an upgrade. I'd read that all the new boards are Pci express and was alerted to the fact that my new X800 Pro may not be compatible?
I'm trying to get the best I can at a specific time and enjoy the benefits of a new generation of chipsets to play, for example Half Life 2 etc. etc.
Cheers

I'd read that all the new boards are Pci express
No, not true by a long shot. The only boards you will find currently for sale for the Socket 939 is the AGP versions. However just recently socket 939 boards with PCIe have started appearing to reviewers, not sure when they'll hit stores (especially in the UK).

Now looking towards the future (like next R5xx or NV5x) at that time you will need PCIe.

Your configuration with any AMD64 S-939 and quality ram you will do fine. However you may have to wait to use the DDR2 if you plan on getting an AMD64 because AMD won't support it until 2005 at the earliest.

So you may have to go with a Intel which still have AGP and PCIe solutions if you want to keep that RAM, or you can sell the ram and get DDR533 and the AMD64.

In either configuration the X800Pro will be fine, especially for HL2.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR2 works with chipsets that do not support AGP cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I would mention the chipset/maker that I know of that has DDR2 and an AGP/GEAR slot, but I know that'd just in essence 'prove' your point. :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, yes, the problem of GEAR. And other companies are planning to release AGP slots using 2 PCI (standard) interfaces, which really don't count either, unless you think AGP1x performance is good enough.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>