X800XL - any way to force AGP Writes on?

I'm having a problem with performance in only two games since going
from a 9700Pro to an X800XL (F1C and GTR - ISI-engined racing sims).
Only difference I can find is that AGP Writes are off with the X800,
while they were on with the 9700Pro. I found the relevant registry
keys (Testedbuscap and requestedbuscaps), forcibky edited them to turn
AGP writes on, and disabled SMARTGART service manually and by renaming
the executable - still no go.
Still no joy - I'm going to try a fresh XP install, but I get the idea
that it won't do any good.
Anyone want to help me not become an nVidiot ;)?

Kendt

Thanks for the advice - but this is "AGP Writes", not "Fastwrites" that
appears to be the problem.
You only see it if you run the advanced SMARTGART settings (from ATI
tray tool, CCC, or the advanced smartgart command line -atisomethingxx
/g).
Most I can find is that it can have a big impact in rare cases, which
unfortunately seems to be these 2 driving sims.

Thanks,
Kendt

Argh ;)!

AGP WRITES - not FASTWRITES! These particular sims apparently do alot
of dynamic vertex and texture operations that seem to depend on AGP
Writes.
This is probably just a combination of this card and my particular
motherboard (MSI KTV6).
I think I'm going to return this card and either try a 6800GT or wait
to go PCI Express with an x64 rig later in the year.

Kendt

"AGP Writes", as in Fast Writes? This method works for me. Note: I did all
this to get video acceleration in WMV9 high-definition videos. Game
performance hasn't changed with or without Fast Writes enabled.

First, make sure Fast Writes is enabled in BIOS. Temporarily turn off any
ATi tweaker program that normally launch at startup (RadClocker, ATiTool,
etc.)

1. Rename the SmartGART service back to its original.
2. Go into the SmartGART control panel and enable Fast Writes.
3. When prompted to reboot, click on "Cancel".
4. Start->Run and type "services.msc"
5. Disable the "ATISmart" service. Reboot.
6. You'll find graphics acceleration to be disabled.
7. Go into services.msc again and set ATISmart to "Automatic". Reboot again.
8. Upon reboot your screen may flash once or twice. Graphics acceleration
will be back to normal, and Fast Writes should be forced on.

Some games need to be reinstalled to detect a new video card. They do some
chipset-specific optimizations in the background on first run.

<eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem with performance in only two games since going
> from a 9700Pro to an X800XL (F1C and GTR - ISI-engined racing sims).
> Only difference I can find is that AGP Writes are off with the X800,
> while they were on with the 9700Pro. I found the relevant registry
> keys (Testedbuscap and requestedbuscaps), forcibky edited them to turn
> AGP writes on, and disabled SMARTGART service manually and by renaming
> the executable - still no go.
> Still no joy - I'm going to try a fresh XP install, but I get the idea
> that it won't do any good.
> Anyone want to help me not become an nVidiot ;)?
>
> Kendt

fisher

On 30 Jul 2005 07:46:00 -0700, eventerke@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'm having a problem with performance in only two games since going
>from a 9700Pro to an X800XL (F1C and GTR - ISI-engined racing sims).
>Only difference I can find is that AGP Writes are off with the X800,
>while they were on with the 9700Pro. I found the relevant registry
>keys (Testedbuscap and requestedbuscaps), forcibky edited them to turn
>AGP writes on, and disabled SMARTGART service manually and by renaming
>the executable - still no go.
>Still no joy - I'm going to try a fresh XP install, but I get the idea
>that it won't do any good.
>Anyone want to help me not become an nVidiot ;)?
>
>Kendt

I went from 9800pro to X800XL and my fastwrites are still on. Might be
something to do with your motherboard bios maybe? Perhaps use the Cat
uninstaller and try a clean install of the ATI drivers. If you had
fastwrites on your previous card there is no reason you shouldn't have
it on with the X800XL too unless your driver install is botched up.
Maybe reinstall Directx after the driver install too.