x86 compatible with 64 bit?

TheColloid

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I'm currently running a 32 bit system with x86. Which means it would run only 32 bit programs, right? But when I installed an application called "64 bit Checker", it said that it is compatible to upgrade to a 64 bit system. Am I seeing this right?...By the way, here is my unit's specifications:
- Intel Core i3 4170
- GTX 950
- 8Gb of Memory
- H81M-D Motherboard
I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade my system with these specs. Will I need to upgrade my system's components?
Thanks for those who will reply :) :)

Solution
Your components are completely 64-bit compatible, but I would note that there is no "upgrade" path to a 64-bit OS. You must perform a clean install of the 64-Bit OS and then re-install all of your other programs/games. Also be sure to back up your data, favorites, e-mails, etc... before you start the re-install.

-Wolf sends
x86 is very short said the architecture used for the CPU instruction set. These started at 8 bit but are nowadays at 64 bit. Your CPU is capable of 64 bit, so yes, you can upgrade the OS to 64 bit. You can then start to use all of that 8gb of ram, since windows 32 bit can only use 4 gb of ram due to the 32 bit limitations. Other than that there won't be much difference, even under 64 bit you will still be using many 32 bit programs, which run fine under 64 bit OS.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your components are completely 64-bit compatible, but I would note that there is no "upgrade" path to a 64-bit OS. You must perform a clean install of the 64-Bit OS and then re-install all of your other programs/games. Also be sure to back up your data, favorites, e-mails, etc... before you start the re-install.

-Wolf sends

Solution