Question x99- a memory recognized sometimes

Sep 11, 2019
SOLVED Asus support:
The motherboard only supports 2 of the particular model of ram. If I want to add more ram I have to change model.

TLDR: In short all the pci slots are good and all the sticks are good but 80% of the time only 2 of the 4 sticks post and run

I'm running an Asus x99-a. I thought I'd buy some more memory in anticipation of a video game i want to buy.going from 16g to 32g After installing I loaded to Bios to check everything out and all four memory sticks registered and seemed to be working. Then loading to windows I checked the system and only two of the memory sticks were showing. I've tried the memory check button on the board and again They appeared in Bios but not once windows loaded.

Last edited:
Such combinations often cause the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications, which results in PC not booting.

Memory manufacturers don't guarantee such combinations to be compatible together.

What is guaranteed is memory in the form sold. For example, A Single module, a kit of two, or a kit of four modules.