[SOLVED] x99 CPU reccomendations

Apr 16, 2020
I'm looking for a new cpu, and I know server farms dump theirs often. But I need a comprehensive list of of them so I can compare.

Any idea on where I can look?

Apr 16, 2020
Ebay is a good place to start off, you should be able to find HEDT core i7s and Xeons for cheap there. Not always but it can happen.

Yeah I can proabably find CPU's on ebay. But I want to find out wich one I want. So I need to find a list of the differient ones so I can compare. Are there any accessible CPU lists?

Apr 16, 2020
Ah I'm sorry, i didn't realize you also wanted a CPU list. My bad.

There really isn't a list i can find on the top of my head, however, what do you want to do exactly? And how many cores do you want?

This is for my home desktop, I have a mini-ITX motherboard with the FCLGA2011-3 socket.
Basically I just want to see if I can get a better dektop experience over the current CPU I have for cheap

But if there aren't any lists it's hard to see if the preformance boost would be worthwile

Apr 16, 2020

Thank you so much! This is super usefull :)

@TechyInAZ

You wouldn't also be able to help me navigating the confusing world of storage servers?

kanewolf

Titan
This is for my home desktop, I have a mini-ITX motherboard with the FCLGA2011-3 socket.
Basically I just want to see if I can get a better dektop experience over the current CPU I have for cheap

But if there aren't any lists it's hard to see if the preformance boost would be worthwile
The socket is not a sufficient discriminator. The BIOS also must support the CPU. You never listed a specific model of motherboard. The place to check for CPU compatibility is the motherboard manufacturer's website.

If you want to learn about "enterprise" hardware, then buy a used 2U server. Get used to not having a video card, and using iLO for all your remote access. Physical access is not available to server farms, so admins need to understand how to deal with problems remotely.

Apr 16, 2020
The socket is not a sufficient discriminator. The BIOS also must support the CPU. You never listed a specific model of motherboard. The place to check for CPU compatibility is the motherboard manufacturer's website.

If you want to learn about "enterprise" hardware, then buy a used 2U server. Get used to not having a video card, and using iLO for all your remote access. Physical access is not available to server farms, so admins need to understand how to deal with problems remotely.

I'm familiar with RDP. iLO is new for me. I'm planning on getting a poweredge R710. Bad choice?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
r710s are old. I would not recommend them unless it's cheap. they're ~100-150 on r/hardwareswap.

r720s are a little more but worth it since it's not EOL as the r710s are. If you're looking for pure storage and nothing else, whitebox a supermicro build in a 4u.