x99 lga 2011 v3 mobo with usb type c

Nathan_17

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
so im in the market for an audio interface. im really prefering this company universal audio. well their interfaces use thunderbolt 2 currently. so i called them up today because they say they work with both windows and mac systems. the sales guy who was realy nice told me that the only way to connect the interface to a windows pc was through usb-c port. so i looked online and only found that msi motherboard here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130934

are there any other boards available besides msi? where is asus on this in atx format. it barely has any reviews on the msi. it does look like a nice board. b ut what gets me in a knot is the fact that i just custom built a really nice x99 system with a sabertooth mobo spec out pretty nice. so the fact that i might have to get another board is just annoying after only owning this one for a year.

anyways my real question is this... if usb-c is the same transfer rates as a pci express lane... then what is stopping people or even universal audio themselves to create a pci express card that just has thunderbolt or maybe future usb-c interfaces. why does it havbe to be built into the board itself?!?!

this is what they are telling me what my requirements are:

"A Quad Core i7 or better processor is recommended for optimum performance.
2016 and later systems that have a 6th-generation Intel Skylake processor (or greater), and a built-in Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge) controller with a USB-C port, combined with a qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, are expected to be compatible.
Thunderbolt 3 products listed on Intel’s Thunderbolt Technology Community page are expected to be compatible."

also does the msi use an alpine ridge controller? which motherboards have these? because my computer meets all the requirements besides the usb-c. i even have a usb3.1 on my pc.

the easy thing would be to just get this audio interface and plug it into my macbook pro (late 2013). but why wast much better hardware in my pc... its far more beastly then the macbook pro even though the mac is still pretty decent.

any advice on this usb-c and motherboard talk would be greatly appreciated. are there any more mobos besides the one i found?

Nathan_17

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

i see that the expansion card is very similar to that asus one i posted. but i see this one actually says alpine ridge on it. ill email this to the universal audio guys and see whats the deal . thanks matt

UPDATE: in a closer look to use that gigabyte expansion card you need their motherboard which already had the necessary hardware. the expansion is just that. i cant add it to my my current mobo or any mobo without the alpine ridge controller already installed.

TRENDING THREADS