[SOLVED] X99 & nvme ssd instability

workaroundspecific

Prominent
Aug 28, 2018
Hey guys,
actually i am feeling very hopeless about this issue.
Recently i have upgrade my sata ssd samsung 850 EVO to nvme ssd Adata XPG Gammix S11. My rig:
cpu: i7-5820K
mb: asus x99 strix gaming
ram: Corsair Platinum 2666mhz 4x4
gpu: 1080 Ti
psu: 1000W Superflower

I've been using my OC profile on CPU (4,4ghz @ 1,26V) tested 8h in rog realbench and all day in prime 26.6 (non-AVX), so it is considered fairly stable.
When i am using default settings in bios (stock clock on cpu) everything works just fine, so i think drive is not faulty. But if i switch AI tweaker from auto to manual mode system become unstable. BSODs are:
critical_process_died
system_store_exception

BUT, this is not happening in stress tests, only while i am gaming (tested in games sw battlefront / metro exodus), after few minutes of playing, models in game just dissapear and i can barely see players, then it freezes and crash.
I've tried to left everything on auto, just set sync all cores on 40 and adaptive voltage on 1,25V, same result. Even slightly changes will make system unstable, i've tried also 3,8 ghz but same result, on 3,7 it looked stable in games.

I am very confused about this, i have expected that nvme possibly can put more stress on CPU lanes, but not like this. Crystaldisk says everything about drive is ok, in idle 39C and in load it is around 42C. I am considering to try PCIe to nvme reduction in X4 slot.

Any help? Thanks for any advice.

Solution
Make sure when retiring an old PSU to remove all of it's modular cables, lest one mistakenly think such cables are interchangeable (they are not!) to quickly fry multiple drives, GPU, etc...

workaroundspecific

Prominent
Aug 28, 2018
Is your OC adjusting PCIE lane speed as well? I suspect that is where the issue lies.
Which settings are responsible for this? I have everything set on auto, BCLK 100mhz, not using XMP and RAM is default speed 2133mhz for X99 platform.
I think M2 puts maybe too much load on CPU, but 5820k has 28 lanes so i dont understand.
View: https://imgur.com/a/6xu7njw

according to mobo manual, M2 is controlled directly by CPU (NB PCIE) and X4 slot is PCH so it should be controlled by chipset and has pcie 2.0. So if X4 is controlled byt chipset, could this work better? with pcie card to m2.

You may also need a bios update, NVME was kinda new when x99 came out. My NVME works fine on my EVGA x99 Classified board but it did have issues recognizing it sometimes during boot, I had to update my bios to get it to work everytime from a shutdown.

Also I have a question, How long have you been using that Asus board? Also what bios are you on? I got an Asus board and I like it better than my EVGA board but I also don't trust it for a number of reasons.

workaroundspecific

Prominent
Aug 28, 2018
You may also need a bios update, NVME was kinda new when x99 came out. My NVME works fine on my EVGA x99 Classified board but it did have issues recognizing it sometimes during boot, I had to update my bios to get it to work everytime from a shutdown.

Also I have a question, How long have you been using that Asus board? Also what bios are you on? I got an Asus board and I like it better than my EVGA board but I also don't trust it for a number of reasons.

I had everything up to date, drivers, bios etc. I tried pcie adapter in every slot, messing with bios settings - nothing. Origin & Steam - few seconds and then BSOD critical_process_died. But rog realbench, prime everything were stable even with OC.
It turned out that this might be PSU failure, i have 8 years old superflower 1000W golden king. I have tried another PSU corsair AX850 and suddenly everything works just in that state as it didnt with my own PSU even with OC.
But the thing is, i plugged back my own PSU and now it works too even with my old OC profile, games are running fine etc. But i am starting to be a little worried, because i needed spare PSU to remove this issue, and i am not sure if its gone or not, maybe it will return in some time.

I am considerign to buy a seasonic 750W focus platinum, just to be sure, i heard a really bad stories about people who gpus/mobos died by failing psu.

I had everything up to date, drivers, bios etc. I tried pcie adapter in every slot, messing with bios settings - nothing. Origin & Steam - few seconds and then BSOD critical_process_died. But rog realbench, prime everything were stable even with OC.
It turned out that this might be PSU failure, i have 8 years old superflower 1000W golden king. I have tried another PSU corsair AX850 and suddenly everything works just in that state as it didnt with my own PSU even with OC.
But the thing is, i plugged back my own PSU and now it works too even with my old OC profile, games are running fine etc. But i am starting to be a little worried, because i needed spare PSU to remove this issue, and i am not sure if its gone or not, maybe it will return in some time.

I am considerign to buy a seasonic 750W focus platinum, just to be sure, i heard a really bad stories about people who gpus/mobos died by failing psu.
Being 8 years old, I'd say it might be time to retire it if the problem comes back, though it could also of been a loose 24pin connection perhaps.