X99 vs z170

Emiliano_1

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
Hi, i am choosing between the rog maximus viii Formula and the asus rampage v, because i want to build a pc for gaming and for work, i will overclock.

tom_spinach

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
If you want to use multi GPU, you can go for the X99, because it delivers more lanes. For editing purpose the 6/8 cores are pretty nice. So decide first for the CPU/GPU and then you know what board.

Emiliano_1

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

Emiliano_1

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

I wull use 2 ssd and one nvudia geforce 980 ti, and i will not edit anything.

RAJOD

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Not sure who said "Not if done correctly". More people do it incorrectly because they don't know what they are doing and over do it. Take 1000 stock clocked systems and compare to 1000 overclocked home user systems and see which ones have more random crashes, blue screens etc. If you are on a tight tight budge you can get certain intel cpus and overclock them to the point of getting close or surpassing much more expensive cpus. And these people play games for FPS and don't seem to care if they get the occasional crash nor do they worry about loosing data as its just for games.

Gains from taking a 4Ghz PC to 4.6Gz are not going to be a WOW, just not worth it other than give you a warm fuzzy feeling that you did it. They spend more time fiddling with system than actually reaping any tangible benefits of the overclock. They just like to say "I overclock man" and puff out the chest some.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

That would be me who said 'Not if done correctly', all to many people today decide they want to OC and rather than learn how and do it correctly, want to use the OC software which is often ineffective and sets voltages high, look at a video and just jump straight to the settings shown (they have no idea that each individual CPU is different), have no idea what all voltages and settings are involved, etc, etc, etc. They want instat gratification. This approach often does lead to instability. Done correctly an OCed system will run nice and stable for years in addition to providing higher performance. ;) Generally those who don't know what they are doing are those that complain about stability problems.

RAJOD

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Yes I agree with you. My I7920 ran fine with a bit of overclock but I did not push it to bleeding edge. 7 years later the cpus is still running fine. Buying used I would always opt for a never overclocked cpu as I have no idea what voltages it was subjected to. I've been around since the Atari days and had all the great overclockers. Celeron 300, i7920 etc.

Not sure I'd bother with todays cpus though, just one more thing to debug if I have issues. Maybe if I had to get 8hour rendering out faster. But to go from 100fps to 110 I won't bother.