Question X99A always boots to BIOS, never Windows

SoVeryConfused

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Hello, my computer is a few years old and I decided to install a new SSD. I didn't have a free power connector so I decided to unplug an older SSD, but as they are all visually identical I had to disconnect them one by one and boot to figure out which was which. You're probably figuring out that I am not someone who build computers, and you would be right. I usually have someone else do this, but it seemed simple enough for me to learn myself. Yeah that was a mistake.

Now my computer no longer boots to Windows. It always boots to BIOS. I Have my 250GB SSD with Windows on it set as the boot device - back to BIOS. I turned off SATA connection for all other devices except my Windows drive - back to BIOS. I turned off Fast boot and Secure boot and kept CSM on - back to BIOS. I popped the battery on the motherboard out for a CMOS reset - back to BIOS. I've gone through all similar threads here and tried what I could - back to BIOS. I see all of my SATA devices listed in BIOS, so they seem to be working. I am at a complete loss here - I don't understand how it can find all of my SATA devices, have my Windows drive set as the boot device, but not boot into Windows.

I have my Windows drive set up for dual boot, with the 250GB drive split into two partitions that each take half the drive, one for Windows 10 and one for Windows 7. Windows 10 is my main OS, Windows 7 is the secondary for things that do not work on 10. When I started my computer up it would give me a Windows boot menu that looked exactly like this. Again I don't know a great deal about this, could the dual boot be contributing to my computer's inability to find my boot drive for Windows? How can I get into Windows and put my BIOS back in storage?

Any help would make me hugely grateful.

SoVeryConfused

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
After wrestling with this for a while, a friendly suggested a simple solution: boot from the Windows disc and repair the Windows install. After selecting Repair startup problems, this actually worked. All is well again. For anyone else with a similar issue - repair does actually help, sometimes!

TRENDING THREADS