[SOLVED] X99S SLI Plus on fire and still works

Jan 30, 2020
Hey guys, my computer got hit by a volleyball, turned off and a chip caught fire. I thought it was fried but somehow it still works. Only the case fan is no working but i can live without that. Maybe someone knows what this chip is really for.
13489410111582494379.jpg
15215925121582494533.jpg

Solution
Well, if you are certain it's the only component that is damaged from visibility, there should be markings on it to identify the part, which could be replaced if comfortable with soldering iron and part can be sourced online. As it sits, you mention it's working fine. This may only be a temporary condition though. No real way to know for sure. If you plan on using this PC long term, it's worth looking into for longevity and safety concerns.
Looks like an SOT-223(a transistor). Its actual purpose though for your particular board could take some investigating. A good cleaning is first thought, system is quite dirty. Not really the safest idea to keep running system longterm with visible damage like this.

Jan 30, 2020
I just bought it yestarday and havent had a chance to clean it. Wanted to make sure it was up and running first but had that accident while doing that. Is it worth fixing ?

Well, if you are certain it's the only component that is damaged from visibility, there should be markings on it to identify the part, which could be replaced if comfortable with soldering iron and part can be sourced online. As it sits, you mention it's working fine. This may only be a temporary condition though. No real way to know for sure. If you plan on using this PC long term, it's worth looking into for longevity and safety concerns.

Solution