Xbox 360 controller driver issue

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Have encountered an odd and incredibly annoying issue with my xbox 360 wireless controller recently where it keeps disconnecting frequently and on most occasions is wiping the driver I have installed causing me to have to restart and manually select the driver from a list on my computer to reinstall. I've had the controller for about 3 years and use regularly without ever encountering this problem before! The only changes to my system that I've made recently is installing the latest beta amd driver and upgrading to a new monitor. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit if that makes any difference. Appreciate any help on this.

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014

Did you only have this problem recently or has this always been the case?

I'm wondering whether if i buy the wired PC version of the Xbox one controller that will work but don't want to order one only to have to return it if I can find a resolution from someone on here

Kryptkeeper

Honorable
Nov 19, 2015

Its always been the same even with a wired controller. Until I upgraded to win10. Now i plug in a wired controller and windows runs a driver check and recognises it. i plug in the wireless adapter and turn on a wireless controller and it connects it straight away (providing the controller is already set to the frequency for the wireless adapter)

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
The thing I don't understand is why mine has begun to malfunction all of a sudden as I mentioned before I've had years of use of the controller on Windows 7 without any problems and only since upgrading my monitor (which now runs through displayport rather than hdmi) has there been issues but I see no reason why a monitor change would affect a USB device :-S

Kryptkeeper

Honorable
Nov 19, 2015

Do you keep the controller plugged into the usb port or do you take it out and use the port for other things?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
make sure your wireless adapter is plugged into your pc then go into device manager and uninstall both the drivers for bluetooth and the usb serial bus itself. (only uninstall the usb drivers that are registering being attatched to a device) then without doing absolutely anything else shutdown pc unplug the adapter and turn on pc. once pc is fully up and running plug in the adapter and let windows install drivers automatically. then if a manual update/install of drivers for this device to work are required do so then reboot system. and if this works for you be sure to never unplug the adapter and plug it into another usb slot. always use the same slot everytime.

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
@xSimply1337x Thank you i will try your solution and report back but just to clarify, when you say the drivers for the "bluetooth and the usb serial bus itself" are you referring to the 'Xbox 360 Controller for Windows' driver in device manager and the 'Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories 1.2' software application in control panel?

@Kryptkeeper I use the controller wirelessly via a windows xbox 360 controller wireless receiver which is plugged into the USB port.

The controller will connect on half the occasions that I load Windows and will either work fine until I next restart Windows or just cuts out mid-game and won't regain connection :(

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

So sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Life kept me busy. to answer your question more or less YES. Uninstall the driver software from programs and features in windows control panel, then uninstall the device drivers from device manager and then after doing so without touching anything since uninstalling from device manager restart pc using the standard method from within windows. HOWEVER, make sure that the dongle is plugged into the port you want it to always be plugged into as once your computer restarts and loads up it will install automatic drivers for the device and you will always want to use the same USB port everytime when plugging it in. After windows installs drivers go and download the xbox 360 accessories drivers package for the controller and install it. reboot pc one last time and see if everything goes well. if not, then go through the same uninstall/reboot process again but DON"T install the downloaded package drivers and see if it works that way.