Xbox 360 ethernet problem connecting

spilkn04

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I have my xbox 360 connected to my laptop through ethernet to each other and my xbox will not connect to live? I went to Gamestop to buy the wireless adpater and they said that if the ethernet doesn't work then the adapter wouldn't work and I would need to resolve that issue first because it should connect. A question I have is that does the ethernet have to be hooked straight up to a computer that is straight into the connection or can it be hooked up to my laptop that connects through a wirelss router?? Does that make a difference? Or if anyone can help me so I can connect that would be greatly appreciated. My laptop is connected but through a wireless connection.

Solution
G
Unless you used a crossover cable and setup ICS on your laptop, the xbox 360 wouldn't connect to the internet. A wireless adapter should allow you to connect to the wireless router and the internet.
G

Unless you used a crossover cable and setup ICS on your laptop, the xbox 360 wouldn't connect to the internet. A wireless adapter should allow you to connect to the wireless router and the internet.

Solution
G

A crossover cable is used to connect 2 computers directly together. ICS is Windows Internet Connection Sharing. It's a way that a Windows computer can share it's Internet connection with other computers.

spilkn04

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
A crossover cable is used to connect 2 computers directly together. ICS is Windows Internet Connection Sharing. It's a way that a Windows computer can share it's Internet connection with other computers.

I actually went back and bought the xbox wireless adapter and now all is good. Thank You for your help.

bodieboy101

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Can you provide more information about ICS. If I buy a cross-over ethernet cable, how do you open ICS in Windows? Is this a setting? On which computer would you need to open ICS? A wireless adapter is a card? I am going to try and connect two computers. One computer does not recognize the wireless internet signal. Can offer more detail please? Thanks.