Xbox 360 hdmi to dvi no sound

gparry0001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Ok, well my problem is pretty much along the same lines as others, the difference is that it's not a computer screen but a big screen tv. The TV has a DVI port and not an HDMI port so I bought the HDMI to DVI adapter. Now comes the problem...Video but no sound. Is my course of action the same as others by taking the case off the rca cord(3 prong) and plug both cords up or is there a completely different approach due to it being a big screen tv instead of a monitor. Thanks for the feed back and I hope this can be fixed, I hate having great graphics with no sound although I do have sound with ok graphics.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
You're somewhat right, some DVI don't carry an audio signal, only data. Some GPUs actually send it down the data channel in a certain mode and it must use a certain type of DVI cable DVI-I and DVI-D. From wiki "the audio and remote-control features of HDMI will not be available unless the output supports HDMI via a DVI plug (e.g., ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards)."
It will also depend on the TV, if the TV has an analog input (probably a 3.5mm jack port) it wont be able to take the audio from the DVI, so I'd say use a 3.5mm -3.5mm lead and connect it from your computer to your tv that way

DVI typically doesn't carry audio. It can be done with special modes [which is why DVI->HDMI DOES carry audio], but very few [any?] devices can directly play back audio in this manner.

Best bet would be a VGA converter with the old style RCA analog outputs.

gparry0001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Well I want to start off by saying thanks to all who took the time to tell me there advice on how to accomplish this problem. I do have to say that the fix was a whloe lot easier than I thought it would be. A little ingenieous but works just as well. yuo need to first do something that goes against all things youo should do with your electronics. At the RCA adapter end that you plug into the back of the xbox, pop off the plastic protection piece and leave the bottom off, you can replace it so try not to break it, then yo can plug your hdmi cord into the DVI slot on the back of the computer as well as plugging your rca cords (audio only) red, white and conect it to an external receiver. Now...Flip the tv to your DVI channel and your audio reciever to the aux setting and enjoy the new improved way of playing a video system the way its supposed to be played, LOUD and really clear, enjoy and thanks. G-Man

jvanderh7

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

how do you get the plastic protection piece off of the cable?