[SOLVED] xbox 360 internal drive recovery options

Apr 30, 2021
My drive is saying unformatted , I had a ton of saved game progress on it. Someone mentioned taking that internal drive out, taking it apart, taking out the disc, and putting that disc in a new internal drive. Someone else mentioned FatXplorer software. I don't know if either is a good option, but I need to try something. Thx

Solution
If you take out the platter and put it into a 100% the same drive it might work if the problem was in any other part except for the platter.
Unless you are a professional that did this plenty of times already there is a 100% chance that you will destroy both drives.

If the drive broke it broke, that's why you do backups of important files.
If the problem is physical then no amount of software will fix it.

If the drive is fine and just the files are messed up then testdisk might be able to read out any files that are still there if you connect the drive to a PC.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
If you take out the platter and put it into a 100% the same drive it might work if the problem was in any other part except for the platter.
Unless you are a professional that did this plenty of times already there is a 100% chance that you will destroy both drives.

If the drive broke it broke, that's why you do backups of important files.
If the problem is physical then no amount of software will fix it.

If the drive is fine and just the files are messed up then testdisk might be able to read out any files that are still there if you connect the drive to a PC.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Solution

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
"Someone mentioned taking that internal drive out, taking it apart, taking out the disc, and putting that disc in a new internal drive. "

Do not follow stupid ideas, who's said that it must be opened is not relevant to data recovery. It's not hardware problem, totally pointless to dismantle the disk. Anyways, without a HEPA14 filtered clean room is more pointless.

Take the drive out, connect on SATA directly to the motherboard and use DMDE free version! The free version allow you up to 4000 files from one directory to be recovered. That limitation is per run, so you can always just exit it and then open again to recover more from either a different directory or another 4000 from the same.

If the only logical damage involves the partition metadata (ie. sectors 0,1,2), then DMDE should be able to restore this information. Can you show us the partitions window in DMDE?

Do not touch anything beyond that!