Xbox 360 turns on randomly, display changes

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
I have a Xbox 360 S, it has been running fine until the last 2 weeks or so. It's not that it has issues starting up or has issues running, but it turns on by itself now and the display goes from 1080p down to 480 all on it's own. I had this happen not once but twice today while it has only happened once prior to today.

I blew it out, I checked all the connections I could think of, nothing seemed loose. I even just took the batteries out of my controller just on the off chance it was causing an issue. I even turned off it's ability to be turned on by an app which I don't think I actually have the right one for but just as a precaution.

The Xbox is plugged into an HDMI splitter as well as a surge suppressor that is plugged into the wall. I had this set up before this started happening but I moved it from one side to the other recently. It's only been doing this since I moved them over.

I honestly have no idea what to do or how to fix it. I've tried reddit and their filter apparently caught my post yet again, I tried posting to Microsofts forums but for some reason cannot do that today. I've even went to Twitter to get answers.

Strangely enough had this same issue with my Wii (far worse than this, though. Was turning on every few seconds to every few minutes. Remote was part of the problem but acted up after I ripped batteries out of all controllers) since I moved over here, my Xbox One, PS4 and DVD player remain unaffected by this. I literally just moved it from one outlet to another, I don't know what could be so different if that was the cause.

Edit: My post may be in the wrong section, if it is, please move it. I was not sure where to post it at all.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"I had this set up before this started happening but I moved it from one side to the other recently. It's only been doing this since I moved them over. "

Move it back and see if the problem stops. If so, move to the new location but skip the surge protector.

Or leave as is, and just remove the surge protector.

Idea being to narrow down the possible problem sources via elimination.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018

Already doing that bit by bit. Going to be purchasing a new power supply for the 360 just in case either way. Odd thing is, I've had this plugged into this same surge suppressor for about 4-5 months or longer.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the surge suppressor? Over time they become less effective because damage is cumulative.

If there have been lots of electrical issues the surge protector may not actually be protecting anything or perhaps to a much lesser degree.

Keep working to narrow things down.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018

It was the original Xbox 360 S power supply, I never had to change it or had issues with it until recently. I think I saw the year as being like 2011 or something on the back. (Says MF R date, going to assume that means manufacturing date?) It's actually stayed off so far besides one time. Since then it's stayed off like it should be.