Question Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver "Power Surge on USB Port" on PC?

Jun 4, 2022
I've been using my Xbox 360 Wireless Controller with a Wireless Receiver and the Plug and Play kit on my PC, and everything has been fine until last week, when Windows has randomly started giving me the error "Power Surge on USB Port. Unknown USB Port needs more power than port can supply" and I've figured out through elimination that it's because of the Wireless Receiver that I leave connected on the back of my PC.

The receiver doesn't work now. I've tried on a laptop and another PC, and even though I don't get the error, the receiver still doesn't work. I've opened it up to check the fuse and it seems to not be blown. I've experienced random internal wires being cut before, and twisting and turning sometimes gives signs of life. Not the case here. It feels like it's completely bricked.

Also, there are regular "scheduled" power outages in my country, so my PC sometimes shuts off abruptly. Can this be the cause of the problem? I really don't want to buy another one of these receivers, since they're super expensive here. I can probably buy a used Xbox One controller for the price of a new receiver.

Any help is appreciated. I can solder somewhat if that helps.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY