Xbox 720: 6x Performance Increase, Kinect 2, 3D, 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Lets see.. Xbox 360 came out in in 2005... 360 will come out in 2013... so 7 years minimum between releases. If you follow Moore's law where transistor counts double ever 1.5 years... 7/1.5=~4.6. 2^4.6=~25x more transistors.

So wow, we are getting x6 performance out of 25x more transistors possible on the same area of silicon. So either, the cost of the new xBox will be way down due to smaller die sizes or the performance per transistor sucks.

G

hhhmmm would this be enough power starting next year and last for the next 10? I think in 3 years a mobile phone will have the same cpu/gpu power .... gggrr consoles will always keep back proper games!

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I doubt that it's going to get an ARM or x86 CPU (especially ARM) I don't think they would ditch PowerPC they would need it for backwards compatibility and it's such a widely used architecture in consoles (among other things) so devs and the like are familiar with it. I also doubt DDR4 because consoles normally don't use vanilla DDR RAM it's usually GDDR or something else.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]Lets see.. Xbox 360 came out in in 2005... 360 will come out in 2013... so 7 years minimum between releases. If you follow Moore's law where transistor counts double ever 1.5 years... 7/1.5=~4.6. 2^4.6=~25x more transistors. So wow, we are getting x6 performance out of 25x more transistors possible on the same area of silicon. So either, the cost of the new xBox will be way down due to smaller die sizes or the performance per transistor sucks.[/citation]

or they will say

.... Profit!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Alas, this is yet another alleged leak/rumor, and from 2010 at that. Even if it was an actual authentic document back then, there's no telling how much they may have changed that plan by now. I know that even I fall into the same trap sometimes, but can we all try a little harder to stop jumping at all the rumors that are thrown out there?

G

@stardude82

performance does not correlate to transistor count, it in fact follows a inverse exponential curve, there is a theoretical limit to the speed at which a semi conductor can be pushed, beyond which thermal resonance starts to kick in at an exponential rate, not amount of transistors is going to solve this problem, thus the emphasis on multicore computing

G

¿backwards compatibility with true full hd rendering for xbox360 games? would be nice...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]pakoman[/nom]¿backwards compatibility with true full hd rendering for xbox360 games? would be nice...[/citation]
The games wouldn't be able to render full 1080p because they don't support it.
---
8 cores would be interesting for the 720 though.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Here's all they need to do. Take whatever the current version of the triple core 3.2 GHz PPC CPU is. Drop in a 7950/GTX670. 8 GB of RAM. There, full backwards compatability. Hugely more powerful system. Very simple for dev's (they're just working with WAY more power on the same architecture, vs having to learn a whole new architecture.). Keep the Xbox 360 (with hard drive and kinect) as a $200 console. Sell the Xbox 720 with Kinect 2 for $400. Every game that's released for the 720 can be also released digitally for the 360, they just have to turn down the resolution and textures on the 360 (same way PC games work, with low settings vs high settings).

On top of all that have a whole new app based OS that syncs wirelessly with my windows computer, and does all the TV and recording stuff that they are talking about. Have that new OS a 720 exclusive to drive buyers to the 720.

Their current players would love them, because Halo 4 and stuff would still be playable on the 360, just on the "shit" graphics settings, while everyone with the 720 can enjoy a full 1080p with AA and high textures experience.

[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Here's all they need to do. Take whatever the current version of the triple core 3.2 GHz PPC CPU is. Drop in a 7950/GTX670. 8 GB of RAM. There, full backwards compatability. Hugely more powerful system. Very simple for dev's (they're just working with WAY more power on the same architecture, vs having to learn a whole new architecture.). Keep the Xbox 360 (with hard drive and kinect) as a $200 console. Sell the Xbox 720 with Kinect 2 for $400. Every game that's released for the 720 can be also released digitally for the 360, they just have to turn down the resolution and textures on the 360 (same way PC games work, with low settings vs high settings). On top of all that have a whole new app based OS that syncs wirelessly with my windows computer, and does all the TV and recording stuff that they are talking about. Have that new OS a 720 exclusive to drive buyers to the 720.Their current players would love them, because Halo 4 and stuff would still be playable on the 360, just on the "shit" graphics settings, while everyone with the 720 can enjoy a full 1080p with AA and high textures experience.[/citation]

this aint pc bro. xbox cant draw more than 100w from the wall or else they run into heat problems.

buddhabelly34

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
lol, every comment is down rated. im prepared for you trolls to down rate mine.

hopefully they make it so that gaming doesn't get held back by consoles. sounds like the cpu power will be plenty for gaming for quite a few years, it's the GPU that worries me. for a long life gpu, you HAVE to get a flagship card, and I doubt they'll be cramming a 680/690 (7970/7990) in there. though, my 460 has stood the test of time better than i expected so who knows. 2-3 years of solid performance is good enough, i'll return to PC gaming after that. :p

oh, and i really hope they dont call it the "720" or "xbawks" for that matter.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]this aint pc bro. xbox cant draw more than 100w from the wall or else they run into heat problems.[/citation]

throw it in a HAF X case. Problem solved ;)

lol ya i guess your right, forgot about the power draw part of it. The current system with 3.2 GHz triple core PPC CPU and x1900 must be feeling a decent amount of power. I'd bet the 7950 and 670 pull less power then the x1900. I have nothing to back that up though.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]xbox 360 slim is the size of an itx system. this website has some specs showing the older xbox power drawhttp://www.planetxbox360.com/artic [...] ox_360_Usea single 670 uses around 130w under load[/citation]

The should just use the 7970M if the desktop cards pull to much power. The 7970M performs in between the 7850 and 7870 (it's a downclocked 7870), so that would actually put out very decent performance.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]The should just use the 7970M if the desktop cards pull to much power. The 7970M performs in between the 7850 and 7870 (it's a downclocked 7870), so that would actually put out very decent performance.[/citation]

the GPU get solder into the motherboard and it's all about the architecture and not brute strength according to developers. these kind of things are talked about at GDC.

buddhabelly34

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

decent performance for now. thats the problem. they release the console next year, then the hardware is that much older. they need to have a beefy ass card when it launches for the console to stay relevant.

imagine the 360 without the x1900 in it. it wouldnt have lasted NEAR as long.

at least displays wont be getting too much more pixel dense in the near future (google an article talking about the benefits of a home tv with >1080p res). that should keep the hardware performance in check in more ways than the 360 was really prepared to deal with.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The only thing interesting about this rumor is the 4GB DDR4 Ram.
Although is nowhere near as interesting if again users can't upgrade their Ram.
(or other components like Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS