Xbox 720 Could Be Delayed, Rumor Suggests

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]I don't see any consumer level smartphone in the next ten years surpassing PS3/360.[/citation]Then you're blind. If you owned a powerful modern smartphone and played around with 3D games and demos, you'd understand. Look at the original iPhone. It had some pretty advanced graphical prowess for a phone of that era, since it came packing a PowerVR MBX Lite chip. Better than its competition at launch. The current iPhone completely and utterly destroys it, with its SGX543MP2. It's like >20 times as powerful as the original. Within a year, the Series 6 PowerVR designs will be on the market, and bring another leap in performance.

In terms of raw CPU power, the current consoles will take a few more years to be matched by a smartphone. But developments in GPU performance, especially mobile, continue at a rapid pace. Within a year or two smartphones will match the current consoles in graphical prowess.[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]then you'll be waiting a long long long time, as the ring of death still hasn't been completely resolved! LOL[/citation]The red ring of death by itself is not a problem that needs resolving. It's like an error message. That's like saying that computers crashing hasn't been solved. If your computer crashes, you have a problem that caused it. Not the other way around. Regardless, the new 360s are pretty damn solid. But it still generates heat, and that heat still needs to be removed - so don't cram it in an enclosed space and shut the door while its running.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mamailo[/nom]Even cardless PC can do it (apu/i7).Games have "Graphics settings" menus.[/citation]Cardless i7 gaming? Ick! That would be considerably worse than the consoles. HD4000 is just awful unless you crank everything to "fugly", and even then it doesn't always cut it. At that point I would have a hard time pointing to the PC and saying "See this is better than consoles!" with a straight face. Cardless Trinity APU, maybe. Cardless Intel? Just tell them to add a $50 dedicated GPU, at least. I mean if you can afford an i7 system, you'd be better off with an i3/i5 with a dedicated GPU.

Even on laptops there are lots of companies (even HP) that have models that can be configured with an entry-level GPU for cheap. On some models HP lets you add a 6670M for $50. That's a lot better than integrated. If you're a fan of dual GPUs you can even get a Trinity CPU and crossfire it with the 6670M. Just uh, add another memory stick and run the system dual channel. A lot of OEMs use single channel setups from the factory.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]probably 500ish dollar dx11 system(xb720) w/ games mass produced/cloned because only multi million dollar companies can make games for the big 3
OUYA will destroy them because they created a system where only the super rich can make games for it and they are very unimaginative.[/citation]That's funny, I've got Indie games on my PC (via Steam) and on my 360 (via XBLA). Huh. I must be hallucinating, because clearly some random knowledge-impaired person on the internet simply CAN'T be wrong!

misterawsome

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
[citation][nom]_scientist[/nom]What scares me is the 720 is supposed to have 8 cores, so will that mean my 3570k will be come obsolete for the new generation of games?[/citation]
the bulldozer had eight cores and look were it got.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Cardless i7 gaming? Ick! That would be considerably worse than the consoles. ....[/citation]

There are people less lucky in life than you. From single moms working hard to give the best they can with what they have to actually kids mowing yards for their gear.Not everyone lives in computer nirvana.

They don't care setting the games in lowres and forget for a moment they are not as wealthy as you.

And yes;the game will look better than morrowind witch it was my point in first place

[citation][nom]mamailo[/nom]There are people less lucky in life than you. From single moms working hard to give the best they can with what they have to actually kids mowing yards for their gear.Not everyone lives in computer nirvana.They don't care setting the games in lowres and forget for a moment they are not as wealthy as you.And yes;the game will look better than morrowind witch it was my point in first place[/citation]

Then WTF are they doing with an i7 in this comparison?

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
The Ouya is Attractive price-wise and kinda like the Wii U!s little brother, but without the physical media, has a smaller potential install base. I also see potential problems because it is advertised as being hackable. Its less expensive because its not as feature-rich as a mobile tegra3 and home based media is typically more expensive than mobile time-killing media, which is where they hope to make up the price difference. Plus there is no existing fan base. The Wii U's new controller seems gimmicky. The PS4 will probably come in at the highest price point with another AIO, and MS will probably come in a little higher than the Wii U with its base model and offer an add-on for B/C, DVR, etc trying to get quicker sales than the PS4 because it wont have the lead time it did the last time...

_scientist

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
[citation][nom]asalikus[/nom]No, because those 8 cores would be low end cores because consoles are cheap and few generations behind but the 3570k is the latest generation and probably will have more L2 cache etc. Don't mix performance with cores, they are not always the same thing.[/citation]

Okay, thanks for the answer. I don't know why I got so much negativity from people, I was simply wondering what others opinions might be.

[citation][nom]_scientist[/nom]Okay, thanks for the answer. I don't know why I got so much negativity from people, I was simply wondering what others opinions might be.[/citation]

asalikus isn't entirely correct. For example, Bulldozer 8 core CPUs have far more L2 cache than the i5-3570K (doesn't necessarily mean anything in performance by itself) and having eight cores doesn't make it weaker nor stronger than the i5-3570K. It might be weaker, but it might be stronger than your CPU. In either case, the negativity was probably caused by you asking if the i5 would be made obsolete by it, not how it would perform. Don't worry about your CPU because regardless of the console CPUs' performance, your i5 isn't going to be obsolete any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.