Xbox 720 Reportedly Due For 2013 Holiday Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
The next-generation console is said to offer features such as a Blu-ray drive and the next version of Kinect, with a retail price apparently being set at $299

And what would be the price of the games to subsidize the 720's price?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]The games are going to cost the same genius.[/citation]

There is no way MS could launch Xbox at that low price based on the components it has. And traditionally, console games tend to be more expensive than PC games, despite the fact that a lot more console games are ported to PC than the other way around.

Care to explain why?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]And what would be the price of the games to subsidize the 720's price?[/citation]

Doesn't Microsoft already do that making something like $5 per game sold? I don't see why there would be any change.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
$299 has to be a misprint. But hey, if that's the real deal, I'm buyin' it. Then again, there could be different models with different hard drive capacities. The $299 model might not be all that good when you look at the overall potential of the new console.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Doesn't Microsoft already do that making something like $5 per game sold? I don't see why there would be any change.[/citation]

And when the developers have to pay a licensing fee of $5 per game, what makes you think they won't try to increase the price to recover the loss?

299$ is way to low to be much of a step for microsoft(meaning hardware will only be slightly better at this price, only to support basic 1080p, like the wiiu does), unless they have something else in plan

G

Supply and demand and you price games at what the market will pay for.. Money isn't made from the hardware / console.. it's from the content .. games, subscriptions, licencing etc etc etc.. buy and xbox for 300 dollars and subscribe for the next five years , plus points etc etc.. cha ching

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Although the price of games have increased with the release of each new generation, looking at this launch price is not a good indication of if or what the price for games will be. They have two challenges to meet. One, they have to be able to make a profit for everyone involved - that should be obvious. But two, they have to keep games at a reasonably acceptable price range. Not saying the current price is all that great, but when these prices were set the power of the internet was not what it is today, which is to say, that there would be some very loud and angry complaints (think Win8 hate dialed up a notch or two).

I say don't try to hard to tie that price tag of $299 for the console to any guess at game prices just yet. By the time the Xbox 720 is in actual production the price of its components will be down some. Not to mention that as it stands the components aren't exactly bank-busting. $299 is about the cost of the PS3 right now, and part of the reason for that is because they've sold that at a loss for most of its lifetime.

Finally, I expect that, given the fact that the PS3 launched at $600 last generation, they probably would use that for some cover to up the price of the console a bit from $300 to avoid having to do the same of the game side. $400 for a console sounds a lot better than $70 or $75 for a game. The fact that the WiiU, and its reputation as being the less "hardcore" of the big 3 consoles, is already priced at about $300, that gives MSFT a little more cover to price the 720 console at a bit higher price than $299.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]$299 has to be a misprint. But hey, if that's the real deal, I'm buyin' it. Then again, there could be different models with different hard drive capacities. The $299 model might not be all that good when you look at the overall potential of the new console.[/citation]
They did it before anyways, like you said Microsoft will probably omit a lot of features (such as HDD and BC) from the $299 version. Microsoft is more than financially capable of selling each machine at a substantial loss, and it was hinted to be a 6x performance upgrade.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]drosencraft[/nom]Although the price of games have increased with the release of each new generation, looking at this launch price is not a good indication of if or what the price for games will be.[/citation]

I actually have been playing games for a long time and remember back in the old days, some SNES games sold as new releases for up to $70, especially the FX chip ones. If games have gone up at all, I'm going to go with the game industry's response. 20 years ago they did not have to deal with piracy being common, emulation, or the enormous price of "blockbuster" AAA titles. A lot of companies are going bankrupt in the industry, like THQ.

With that being said, they cannot charge significantly more than everyone else for their games and expect to get away with it. Competitive pricing. XBox 720 games will be ~$60, because that is the common price for everyone else and has been for a long time.

So why the low price? Have you people been listening at all? Microsoft has already made it clear they are NOT going with power for the 720. It's going to be another Win8 ecosystem device that just so happens to play games. I know they claimed 6x the power or whatever, but guess what? Nintendo said it would blow XBox out of the water too. These companies overexaggerate. Microsoft is not going after the Playstation next generation, it's going after the Wii U. It's going to put out a cheap system that uses tablets using SmartGlass. Who would you rather emulate, the company that made the most last gen, or the company that has one foot in the grave? Putting out a system for $500 would be pointless considering how much you could get out of a PC for that price.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The $300 price point of the Xbox 2013/720/2/whatever would be like the Wii-U, but sold at a loss. Look at the Wii-U, its a $300 console with a tablet device and a HD-DVD-like discs (bet it was cheap IP since it has no value). Nintendo is making some money off the Wii-U.

At $300, it would include the "CORE" model. No HD, No Kinetics. Adding those would bring the price up to $500 easy.

We have a PS2 in our home, thinking about getting the PS3... but we are realistically looking at waiting for the $500 PS4 to come out instead... hopefully it will include PS3 compatibility. The PS3 is already down to $240... I wouldn't be surprised if its $180 next Christmas.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Like everyone speculated, the difference between next gen consoles are going to be very very close. MS isn't going to risk putting in expensive cutting edge tech for 4K tv's when no one is going to have them for another 4 years or so. People are still getting settled with their 1080p sets.

So this time around it's going to be about getting the one with the exclusives they like to play. Also, since this is the Xbox, it's going to depend if people are willing to pay a subscription fee to activate the full potential of their console like Netflix, online play, etc... which I in no way plan to do because I already have a strong PC and the other consoles already offer it for free.

For now I'm going to stick to PC and a Wii U. Unless there's something only on Xbox or the new Playstation that is a must play. But if MS does offer expensive cutting edge tech for that $299 price point, then be prepared to be locked into a multi-year online subscription service to subsidize that price.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I could see the next Xbox selling for around $300 given that Blu-ray has gotten cheaper over the years and that people have less money this time around given the current state of the economy.

Would it be sold for a loss? yes. Will they make tons of money? More than likely given Xbox's track record and the fact that the low price will help people who didn't want to spend $500ish on a new console buy it for $300ish instead.

As it was stated before, buying a console for around $500 is pretty much crazy at this point given how cheap PCs are and then add in that MS is also pushing Windows 8 right now and you can see why they dropped it to $300.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If their set top box due out in the near future will only be playing arcade games, and it contains the current systems SoC, the reason may be the need to divert processing power for kinect 2.0. Add online and a DVR and a price just below the WiiU and they can steal some thunder. Then, 9 months or so later, upgrade the experience with the 720 priced at $300 and get the highend games. There goes your $500-600 spread out over your tax return and xmas purchases.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]As it was stated before, buying a console for around $500 is pretty much crazy at this point given how cheap PCs are and then add in that MS is also pushing Windows 8 right now and you can see why they dropped it to $300.[/citation]
MS wants to make money selling hardware and software. Go to most game stores and compare the number of consoles with AAA titles (any one) to those of PCs. There is almost nothing there. The publisher have gone where the money is.

Its far easier to develop for a 2-3 consoles that are in closed systems than dealing with the various Windows and even Mac hardware configs... most PCs have generic graphics which are not going to do much gaming. Intel drivers are generally crap too.. what version of the driver does the user have? Do they have a virus? Is the CPU meeting standards, etc. yeah, the 360 and PS3 are hitting 8 years old, pretty much past their prime and WE SEE the effect they do to PC gaming. PC games do not look much, if ANY, than the consoles they were PORTED from!

Newegg shows 48 MAC games, 1141 PC games (some of these are way old, casual games, educational), PS3 = 728 games, 360 = 730 games.

What turns me OFF from PC games is the high level of DRM, which DOES NOT STOP piracy. Even a $5 4+ year old game is DRMed to death with limited installs or SecuROM crap. Stuff I wouldnt have to deal with on a console.

Yes, I prefer my PC shooter games... better control, customization and more cheat abilities for single player modes when you get stuck. But I rarely buy a PC game. My GF has a PS2 and my son has a Wii... they simply work, most of the time. I still don't like it...

So... if there are limited games for PC... then it doesn't MATTER about the price. You are bitching about a $500 console? A typical $500 PC won't compare for gaming. You need a $200~300 video card ALONE, a decent $50~100 PSU, etc, etc. How about this, a console easily plugs into the family tv... its tiny and easy to configure. A PC is made for a desk...

Show me some of those titles we would love to have? Gears of War 2-3? Halo 3~4 and its sister titles? On and on... I am mad at MS so much over Windows8, lack of gaming support for the PC... I'll simply go PS3/4. They throw the name "xbox" onto almost anything.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I can't wait for the next-gen to launch, getting tired of seeing jaggies in my games, with next gen hardware consoles games should have anti-aliasing. Other than that, graphics as seen in some of the next-gen game engine tech demos will be fantastic. This generation is long overdue, 7 years is too long for a console generation.

I'm pretty sure that the $299 price is with the 2 year contract to Xbox Live rumored in the past. Probably more like $499 without the contract. Unless the 360 is only a little better than the Wii U, in which case, I'll be getting the PS4 despite the crappy controller, unless it has low specs too, in which case I'll be building a gaming PC and buy the consoles later after price drops to play their exclusives.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom] I'm pretty sure that the $299 price is with the 2 year contract to Xbox Live rumored in the past. Probably more like $499 without the contract. Unless the 360 is only a little better than the Wii U, in which case, I'll be getting the PS4 despite the crappy controller, unless it has low specs too, in which case I'll be building a gaming PC and buy the consoles later after price drops to play their exclusives.[/citation]
Then again, on second thought, $299 really could be the price for the basic console with a smaller hard drive. The Wii U's basic model costs $299, but probably $80+ of that is for the controller. That extra money could considerably better hardware in the next Xbox. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I can't wait until the next-gen consoles are unveiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS