Discussion Xbox - Cheapest SSD Game Storage

Apr 23, 2019
So I'm looking to boost loading times on one or two games on an Xbox one in the cheapest way possible.

This is not for me but for friends of mine as well as any other people on the internet who don’t have much money and want to make loading times faster on one or two games Cough PUBG Cough. Personally I am currently using a Samsung External SSD. Works really well but not the cheapest way. It costed about $95 for a 250gb... now the 500gb is about that price. I also have another Samsung 2.5" SATA that i use with an external enclosure so it works as an external ssd and i know that works for my Xbox as well.

I saw on amazon Two cheap 2.5 SATA SSDs one that's 256gb for $31 and a 120gb for $20 (120gb is Kingston brand and the 256gb is a silicon power which i never heard of)

The xbox one has an external storage minimum of 256gb not sure why but thats what i saw online. So the 256gb may work for $31 and then add a 2.5" enclosure thats compatible with an xbox for $9 or $10 and then you'll have faster load times with some games. Of course i dont know much about the brand or quality of the SSD but it would most likey i'd hope be faster than the internal HDD.

Now let’s think cheaper, the 120gb SSD. Does anyone know how to make a hard drive appear larger than it actually is? By that i mean make the 120gb SSD look as if its 256gb when plugged into something? I’m thinking about this only because years ago i purchased a 16gb SD card (back when 16gb was alot) And it was actually only a 1gb or something which explained why it was so cheap. Is that possible to do something like this with a 2.5” SATA SSD so that someone would be able to trick the Xbox into thinking that it’s a 256gb drive and not a 120gb? If that is possible we would be able to bring the price down to about $30. any one have any thoughts on how this could be done or any alternatives below $40.

Like I said this would be to find the cheapest way to speed up one or two games.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The Kingston drive will be an A400 or something - and Silicon Power are are known brand too. Neither will be the fastest SSD in the work, as they're both budget-oriented drives..... Exactly what you're looking for. They'll still be substantially faster than an HDD.

Any 'trickery' to make a drive appear larger than it is, is going to be problematic. The system won't know there's not X available, and will attempt to write.... Causing issues.

AFAIK, you can replace the internal drive on an XBox, can you not? If so.... while it's not quite "below $40", you can get 500GB class SSDs for ~$50. Might be a better option to simply replace the internal drive with a larger SSD....

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Xbox+One+Hard+Drive+Replacement/36771
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/x28H99,Rfkj4D,KLRzK8,ZDWfrH/

Apr 23, 2019
The Kingston drive will be an A400 or something - and Silicon Power are are known brand too. Neither will be the fastest SSD in the work, as they're both budget-oriented drives..... Exactly what you're looking for. They'll still be substantially faster than an HDD.

Any 'trickery' to make a drive appear larger than it is, is going to be problematic. The system won't know there's not X available, and will attempt to write.... Causing issues.

AFAIK, you can replace the internal drive on an XBox, can you not? If so.... while it's not quite "below $40", you can get 500GB class SSDs for ~$50. Might be a better option to simply replace the internal drive with a larger SSD....

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Xbox+One+Hard+Drive+Replacement/36771
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/x28H99,Rfkj4D,KLRzK8,ZDWfrH/
Thanks that helps, regarding the 120 GB SSD would it still cause issues if you knew that the your only installing 100GBs on the drive and you know you wont install any more

My friends are not very tech savvy and they would end up breaking there xbox if they try to replace it. Lol but I would fear a firmware update or something that may detect the SSD and some how ban me from Xbox live. Unlikely I think but I don’t want to risk it, however I may want to try that on my old xbox one, which has a broken disc drive just for fun.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks that helps, regarding the 120 GB SSD would it still cause issues if you knew that the your only installing 100GBs on the drive and you know you wont install any more

My friends are not very tech savvy and they would end up breaking there xbox if they try to replace it. Lol but I would fear a firmware update or something that may detect the SSD and some how ban me from Xbox live. Unlikely I think but I don’t want to risk it, however I may want to try that on my old xbox one, which has a broken disc drive just for fun.
A 120GB drive really only has about 85GB usable space.
You need to leave some free space.

And " not very tech savvy" friends WILL fill it up too far.
Get a bigger drive.

Trickery to make it appear larger will not work. Sure, the system may see it as a larger drive. But if you attempt to write to that space, it simply overwrites what was already there.
That is the falsehood behind the ridicuously cheap 1TB USB sticks. They report to the OS as 1TB, but are really only 16GB or so. You can seem to write 1TB to it, but only the last 16GB actually gets saved.