Question Xbox controller randomly stops responding

Oct 26, 2022
There's a problem I've been facing for the past few days in regard to my xbox series s/x controller for my pc. Whenever I'm gaming, my controller just suddenly stops responding to my inputs at random intervals during gameplay. Oddly enough, the controller is still on (lights and all) while this problem occurs and I don't see errors pop up in event viewer or reliability history. Right now it's connected to my pc case via USB-C cable and I can temporarily fix it by disconnecting it and reconnecting it, though it does return at times.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI z690-a ddr4
CPU: Intel i9-12900kf
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080
RAM: PNY Inc 8GBF1X08JEEE36-12-K 2x8GB
PSU: Corsair TX750
Case: Unknown
Drives: (All carried over from 2018 build)
SSD: Samsung PM871 M.2 2280 256GB
HDD 1: WD WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0 4TB
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
There's a problem I've been facing for the past few days in regard to my xbox series s/x controller for my pc. Whenever I'm gaming, my controller just suddenly stops responding to my inputs at random intervals during gameplay. Oddly enough, the controller is still on (lights and all) while this problem occurs and I don't see errors pop up in event viewer or reliability history. Right now it's connected to my pc case via USB-C cable and I can temporarily fix it by disconnecting it and reconnecting it, though it does return at times.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI z690-a ddr4
CPU: Intel i9-12900kf
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080
RAM: PNY Inc 8GBF1X08JEEE36-12-K 2x8GB
PSU: Corsair TX750
Case: Unknown
Drives: (All carried over from 2018 build)
SSD: Samsung PM871 M.2 2280 256GB
HDD 1: WD WD4005FZBX-00K5WB0 4TB
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
The first thing I would check is your Bluetooth drivers. Are they up-to-date? I haven’t experienced this with my Xbox controller but my Apple AirPods kept disconnecting similarly. Updating Bluetooth drivers seemed to resolve it. Are there any specific games that it occurs with or is it everything? Easiest steps are updating Windows and drivers.

Oct 26, 2022
The first thing I would check is your Bluetooth drivers. Are they up-to-date? I haven’t experienced this with my Xbox controller but my Apple AirPods kept disconnecting similarly. Updating Bluetooth drivers seemed to resolve it. Are there any specific games that it occurs with or is it everything? Easiest steps are updating Windows and drivers.
As far as what games it occurs on, I noticed it first happened while playing honkai star rail. I also tested omega strikers and it happened there too. So it may occur in any game. But I'll update my bluetooth drivers and look into whatever other input I get here and see where it goes
Edit: I forgot my pc doesnt have bluetooth atm, so I know that's not the problem

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
Looks like I figured out the issue. Seems my issue may be controller related because when I opened the battery compartment there was battery dust in there. Either that or the usb cable it was connected to was dying, will need to test with my Dualsense controller. But thankfully I connected my PS4 controller and was able to play without any worry of disconnects