Xbox: error 12

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Let me start with a short anecdote:

Hunter to 911 operator: My friend had a heart attack and I think he is
dead. He is not breathing.

Operator: Calm down, first lets make sure that he is dead.

Hunter: Ok <two loud gunshots> Ok, now what?

As I posted earlier my DVD drive was counting its last hours. I opened
it in a bid to clean it manually/adjust the pot to see if that would
help. I cleaned the lens and mirror and then thought I will check if
this has improved the status.

My DVD drive would not open but xbox showed the dashboard.

Took it off again and this time used the tutorial to realign the drive.
Nothing seemed to be wrong in the mechanical parts but did that anyway.
Tried to test it after putting the tray back in and this time a few
fumes came out :(

Now even the dashboard would not come up. I was getting an error screen
"call Customer service" with error code of 12.

Do you think a new drive will fix this? Or am I in for a total xbox
replacement altogether. Which is the cheapest source to buy a premodded
Samsung 616T drive?

Thanks for your time.

Grinder wrote:
> Grinder wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if the xbox will boot (beyond the BIOS anyhow,) without a
> > DVD drive, but try disconnecting the drive. Can you get to the
> > dashboard? Do you get a different error?
>
> I tried this with an xbox I have here. With the (working) drive
> disconnected, I get an error 12 as well. Although not conclusive, it
> does lend support to the idea that *the* problem is the failed drive.

Thanks Grinder. I did one more thing. I disconnected the IDE to the
HDD, and it did not even show me any error. I then swapped the IDE
cables of the DVD and HDD and it again gave me error-12. So it is not
faulty IDE cable either. All signs seem to point at a possible fault in
the DVD drive. Only other thing is a problem in those yellow cables but
I don't see any reason why they would go bad.

I basically need a drive that will last for about 8-10 months. By that
time, I would be ready to buy 360. I am also considering buying a new
Thomson (shudder!) drive, the TGM600 one. It seems to be doing well so
far, costs less and people say that it reads DVD-R DVD+R also. I am not
too keen on CD-R. I usually play my burnt CD-Rs in my boombox and route
it through the receiver. Works quite well. Its going to be only stereo
anyway.

DNA wrote:
> Grinder wrote:
> > Grinder wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure if the xbox will boot (beyond the BIOS anyhow,) without a
> > > DVD drive, but try disconnecting the drive. Can you get to the
> > > dashboard? Do you get a different error?
> >
> > I tried this with an xbox I have here. With the (working) drive
> > disconnected, I get an error 12 as well. Although not conclusive, it
> > does lend support to the idea that *the* problem is the failed drive.
>
> Thanks Grinder. I did one more thing. I disconnected the IDE to the
> HDD, and it did not even show me any error.

Sorry This sentence was misleading. I am extremely sleepy and exhausted
by all this. What I meant was with the IDE to HDD off, it does not even
go past the first screen to show me if there is any error. It just
freezes at the first "X" screen.

DNA wrote:

> As I posted earlier my DVD drive was counting its last hours. I opened
> it in a bid to clean it manually/adjust the pot to see if that would
> help. I cleaned the lens and mirror and then thought I will check if
> this has improved the status.
>
> My DVD drive would not open but xbox showed the dashboard.
>
> Took it off again and this time used the tutorial to realign the drive.
> Nothing seemed to be wrong in the mechanical parts but did that anyway.
> Tried to test it after putting the tray back in and this time a few
> fumes came out :(
>
> Now even the dashboard would not come up. I was getting an error screen
> "call Customer service" with error code of 12.

That appears to be a DVD-drive error:
http://www.richspsxparts.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10904&

I'm not sure if the xbox will boot (beyond the BIOS anyhow,) without a
DVD drive, but try disconnecting the drive. Can you get to the
dashboard? Do you get a different error?

> Do you think a new drive will fix this? Or am
> I in for a total xbox replacement altogether.

I would remain optimistic about being able to fix it with a replacement
drive. This is easy enough for me to say, however, when you'll be
spending the money.

> Which is the cheapest source to buy a premodded
> Samsung 616T drive?

Sorry, can't help you on that one. You might be able to get some
suggestions over in the forums at www.xbox-scene.com.