News Xbox Firmware Up Makes Booting Faster

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
This is good news for Xbox owners.
Though I can't say I'm a big fan of the trend of 'powering down' a console actually putting it into standby instead.

At least on the Xbox Series, they provide plenty of options, so you can disable this setting and have 'turn off' actually turn off your console.
On the Switch you can't, and turning the system off is hilariously and needlessly complicated.

D

Deleted member 14196

If it boots faster than it already did that’s just incredible because it’s ultra super fast right now

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
I would expect that Microsoft would be using a similar cold-boot speedup mechanism to Windows 10 onwards: at shutdown, after the system shuts down it then restarts, performs most of the boot process, then hibernates. At next 'cold' boot the system then only needs to POST and resume from hibernation unless there has been any major system changes (at which point it performs a full boot sequence). With the XBSX/S not having a replaceable internal drive, the assumption can be made that hardware state is invariable so POST checking can be taken as implicit hardware state confirmation.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I would expect that Microsoft would be using a similar cold-boot speedup mechanism to Windows 10 onwards: at shutdown, after the system shuts down it then restarts, performs most of the boot process, then hibernates. At next 'cold' boot the system then only needs to POST and resume from hibernation unless there has been any major system changes (at which point it performs a full boot sequence). With the XBSX/S not having a replaceable internal drive, the assumption can be made that hardware state is invariable so POST checking can be taken as implicit hardware state confirmation.
That's one garbage feature.... that hybrid power off/power on to speed up boot. On my work tablet, every week I have to hold the power button to force a real turn off in Windows 10.

after 4 to 5 hybrid off/on windows 10 just leaves process execs hanging in limbo or prevents the same process from starting important services. And those execs/services are important since they verified before connecting to work resources.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
That's one garbage feature.... that hybrid power off/power on to speed up boot. On my work tablet, every week I have to hold the power button to force a real turn off in Windows 10.

after 4 to 5 hybrid off/on windows 10 just leaves process execs hanging in limbo or prevents the same process from starting important services. And those execs/services are important since they verified before connecting to work resources.
That sounds like a "software made an assumption about system behaviour that ceased to be valid a decade ago (Hybrid Boot debuted with Windows 8)" issue rather than a Windows issue.

TRENDING THREADS