Xbox Live Account Theft

dezonio2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
So I just got off the phone with Xbox Live support. A little more than 2 weeks ago my account would not log on so I called the support. It turned out that the account was hacked and my Live Gamertag was migrated to Mother Russia. Bearing the PS3 network hack in mind I asked the rep. whether this was one of many cases and if there was any relation to the hack of Sony. The support person sounded surprised and claimed this was a unique case and to give them 7-10 business days to resolve the issue.
It's now 2 weeks later and a different Live support rep. told me there's been a spike in such cases, the investigations department is slammed and I should check-in in 21 business days since the original inquiry. I just bought the damned account.

Does anyone have any knowledge or info on this case? I follow several blogs and nothing has been reported so far.

Thanks and happy gaming/building/tweaking...

skulltac

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Thats really strange I've never heard of an XBL account being hacked unless someone was stupid enough to give out the info which u didn't cause ur obviously smart since ur on Toms Hardware lol. But back on topic I've never heard of this.

RentACopTN

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
This happens. If you know the COD community, OptiC Predator's was hacked. He pressed the issue hard and got the FBI involved. I have a few friends this has happened to. Report it, and then follow up until the problem is resolved. Ask to speak to whomever is in charge. Don't let this drop. Stay on them!

dezonio2

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

here's the weird part... i used to have WP7, so does my brother. we bought the xbox (few years back when the first batch with redesigned hardware that would supposedly not rrod, i do my research) together and he registered live with his info and email. he moved out for a year and i bought his half of the xbox and tried to migrate the account to my email and link my live account with my phone.

you can't do any migration and changes without explicitly calling MS and sitting on a phone with them.

that's where puzzled, you have to know your address, CC info, phone number, secret question, etc. in order to do that. even if someone hack my brother's email how did they get all that called MS from russia and got it done? my paranoid me is screaming it was a server hack or an insider job...