Xbox One Coming in White; Could Shed Blu-ray to Lower Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I wouldn't buy a XBOX One just because of Kinects. The thought of the system being in standby and the camera being there creeps me out. I dont like the idea that someone could be watching even if the chance is so remote that its almost nonexistent chance.

Wizard999

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
I think what we will see come November is the current Xbox one at $450. A 1TB version at $500. And a non-bluray drive version at $400.The $400 unit would be for the casual gamer /sports/fitness crowd.The $400 version won't be for gamers. It will be for the casual crowd. At that point the number of applications and casual/Kinect games should have enough critical mass to attract the casual gamer or sports fan to the Xbox platform.

garikfox

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
There already is a white version in existence, goto the below page and scroll about half way down.http://www.overclock.net/t/1445024/xbox-one-owners-club/110

stevencfitness

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Forget shedding garbage from kinect. Give me a WiiU without the silly gamepad for $100 less and we have an immediate deal in my book.
I can always use a pc for anything else.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Is this the "continual improvement cycle" people were hoping for? Stripping out parts before the system even reaches a full year old? I'll restate my position - PC and console gaming are different, and there should be respect for those differences, including that consoles are meant to be relatively stable for multiple years. Don't like that, fine. That's what PC's are for. I think Xbox is shooting itself in the foot here.

stevencfitness

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

The problem, as I see it:

Microsoft considers the value proposition differently than the consumer does. They would rather sacrifice the blu ray drive vs kinect and therefore kinect is a plan that goes deeper than the xbox.

Can we see mobile phones with a miniature kinect sensor on the front some day that tracks eyes or other craziness?

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have no interest in the xbox one i have a ps4 i mean even for the sake of just having an xbox one i wouldnt want it in my house because of kinect. Its just a privacy thing with me if they were to drop it maybe i would consider it but honestly i think for that price they may get a lot of competition from steam boxes..

matthelm

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I know a LOT of people that bought PS3 for the Blu-ray, so they lost a LOT of sales because they didn't have one, and now you are saying to remove that item? Also, that shouldn't be more than a $20 adder at the OEM level, as internal Blu-rays are about $40-50 on the street. Yes, they could have saved a ton of engineering cost before they added it, but now that it is added, it's only a few dollars. Digital content = Low bit rate 1080p data. :p

sirskeetsalot2013

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Meh, If you're so worried about your privacy just buy the EnlargePDP - Kinect Sensor Kit for Xbox One for a measily $20 it has a rubber cover that goes over the camera.Me and my girl bang in the same room we have a Kinect in when it's on standby with no cover, Believe it or not, Only way it could get hacked is the day they release 3rd party APPS, and i'm sure they wont. Get over yourselves.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
i think a lot of people will hit their bandwith caps in the foreseeable future, with sony and xbox's game streaming...
We exceed ours every month b/c of Netflix and Steam, waiting for more available games to get the new consoles. It would be nice if I could purchase a key online and then go pick up a physical disc from a kiosk, similar to a Redbox, since retailers aren't carrying many boxed PC games anymore. Strange that consoles have been able to hold out with physical copies for so long. <jealous>

alextheblue

Distinguished
Can we see mobile phones with a miniature kinect sensor on the front some day that tracks eyes or other craziness?
You're being a bit silly. Mobile phones already have all sorts of sensors, including cameras and mics. They already have a lot of that "craziness" going on already.

Of course what's really funny is watching all these people going after Kinect for "privacy" concerns. Meanwhile they use their more-vulnerable phones to take pictures and video. You're much more likely to be spied on (whether by NSA or hackers) on a PC/laptop or mainstream smartphone/tablet. Heck, with a smartphone you've even got GPS. Half of these guys are just Sony fanboys using it as an excuse - take away Kinect and they'd still never put one on a shelf next to their precious.

Now, if you're the type that puts black tape over all their cameras, wires in a toggle switch for the microphone built into their devices, and never uses a USB cable they haven't personally checked for rogue components, etc, then you get a pass.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

That's the employee-only model. See where it has 'I MADE THIS' engraved on the front? Yup. Microsofties only. :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I haven't used the DVD drive on my PC for ages, so much so I removed it to get another HDD in. Thanks to XBMC, Spotify, Netfix, Steam, etc nobody really needs physical media again. A USB DVD drive sits in a drawer, gathering dust, in case I ever see an old disk again but the feeling is it will get as much use as the USB floppy drive next to it. MS should have the courage to push this to the console arena and let the market decide, as long as the HDD is big enough then Bluray is the last physical media we will ever see.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I haven't bought a Xbox or PC game on physical media for about 5 years now. I do like the streaming and media options that the Xbox one offers however. So if they offer a cheaper and slimmer version that works for me.

I don't buy movies on discs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS