Xbox One Controller becomes [un]responsive after varying usage times on different games.

TheBushWookie

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
After buying an Xbox one controller to enjoy various games I didn't want to play with a keyboard and mouse, I discovered that the controller is bugged on a large number of games. After varying amounts of time the controller will randomly become unresponsive and unusable. It doesn't turn off, it doesn't lose connection. it. It just stops receiving button inputs and if an input was happening at the time of this bug then it would freeze on that input. PC Is still registering that it exists and is apparently working properly. I also forgot to mention that it is a Wired controller. Well, it's a wireless that comes with a USB cable so it's technically wired. .

I more or less confirmed that it's not a hardware issue because it has never had a single incident on dark souls 3. The games I've tested it on with this bug occurring the most often are For Honor, Sniper Elite V2, Battlefield 4, Skyrim, and probably a ton more that I just haven't encountered.

I definitely have updated drivers, hardware malfunctions should be out of the picture as it works perfectly in Dark souls 3.

Solution
Well... this is weird I have some ideas on mind based on my experience since I had a XBO 360 Pad that turned to be dead after a year or so... and the same problem happened to me the controller would just turn it off itself and then turns it on back again..

My Suggestions as follows bellow -

1 - Try a different Xbox One Pad if you manage to borrow one from someone you know... so you can test it and see if it's hardware
related, even if you think it's not since it worked with Dark Souls 3

2 - Try a Wireless Receiver instead of USB cable, yeah... will need to spend a little more but it's worth since the Receiver keeps the pad synchronized all times..

3 - Not sure how you are running games on Steam, I assume it's on steam right? Have...

FabioXN7

Respectable
Jul 18, 2017
I have a 360 pad and installed the drivers from microsoft website itself, never had issues like these before, mine is a wireless one instead of wired, have you tried pluggin the pad on different inputs on your case?

TheBushWookie

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

Yes, I've tried it on every other USB port.

FabioXN7

Respectable
Jul 18, 2017
Have you tried plugging in a different computer and test some games with it to check if it happens the same input lag. Also if you have NVIDIA try setting the Pre-Rendered Max Frames to 2 in NVIDiAs Control Panel Global Settings, it usually decreases the input / output lag.

TheBushWookie

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

Unless lag means completely disabled, then I don't think that'll change anything. What I'm experiencing is the controller completely shutting down and no longer registering any button inputs to it. It's still on, the computer registers that it's there and it says that it's working properly, but until I unplug the controller and plug it back in then it does not respond to any button presser.

Also I unfortunately do not have a different PC to test it with.

FabioXN7

Respectable
Jul 18, 2017
Well... this is weird I have some ideas on mind based on my experience since I had a XBO 360 Pad that turned to be dead after a year or so... and the same problem happened to me the controller would just turn it off itself and then turns it on back again..

My Suggestions as follows bellow -

1 - Try a different Xbox One Pad if you manage to borrow one from someone you know... so you can test it and see if it's hardware
related, even if you think it's not since it worked with Dark Souls 3

2 - Try a Wireless Receiver instead of USB cable, yeah... will need to spend a little more but it's worth since the Receiver keeps the pad synchronized all times..

3 - Not sure how you are running games on Steam, I assume it's on steam right? Have you tried Big Picture ? Instead of normally launching the game through steam and playing it ? I know it may sound dumb but Big Picture is definetely made for TV / Console kind of experience and it recognizes the Pad very well

4 - Reinstalling drivers or upgrading pad drivers through Windows Device Manager or either Microsoft, it didn't work as you said so I don't think it's the issue but you never know..

5 - Try testing on another PC if you ever come across another one.. perhaps a close friend can help you out..

6 - Try reinstalling Windows 10 (Although i think that would be one of the last things to do)

7 - Finally... exchange your Xbox One pad with a new One it may be faulty, since theres not many people with such issue on PC

Since there's no magical trick I can think off these are the best you can do..

Solution